Maestronet Forums

A.D.'s new bench

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Then the blue was the oldest-looking new violin FFT I've ever seen, and the red was the newest-looking FFT of an old violin I've ever seen.

Hah.  I threw it in a slideshow with a bunch of old instruments and no one at Oberlin noticed...  I'll have to dig through a bunch of old instrument spectra and see what else I can share that's interesting.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Hah.  I threw it in a slideshow with a bunch of old instruments and no one at Oberlin noticed...  I'll have to dig through a bunch of old instrument spectra and see what else I can share that's interesting.

Well, you know, if it was day, we were hung over, if it was night we were intoxicated...I'm very interested in the spectra...

4 hours ago, Don Noon said:

I would be very interested in the details about that old-sounding (or, at least old-looking FFT) new violin... who made it, what was different about it to create that output, etc.

That's one of my violins.  It lives in the New World Symphony.  The difference with that one was it was for a player who was used to high end old instruments, so I made him a violin that he would feel at home on.  Most musicians aren't quite happy with a violin like that, even if they think they like the idea of playing old instruments.  Let me see if I can find the spectra from a similar instrument that I made with maple and spruce from the same logs, and same model, just with a different end goal.

6 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Here are two of those comparisons.  The red line is the same instrument as the above blue line violin.

Sorry, AD, but the red line matches the RED line of your May30 post, which means the BLUE line of your May 30 post must therefore be the old violin, exactly as I called it.  And the question remains:  was it a Strad?

All of these new posted spectra look like slightly different new violin FFT's to me.

OK then... the 4-year-old modern blue line of the May 30 post looks like no other modern instrument FFT I have seen, and the particulars of THAT instrument would be very interesting to find out.

(I still think you got the wrong plot, and it's really a Strad :))

• 6 months later...

OK, that looks very strange around the B modes.  It would be helpful if you could have minor gridlines on the frequency axis, but it looks like the B1+ mode is either one of those insignificant blips, or one of the twin peaks well below 500 Hz.  I'll guess the latter.  That kind of closely spaced B modes with very low B1+ frequency I have only seen on radical experiments with very low top arching... but also on a relatively poor Strad (the plot above 1kHz doesn't look like a Strad, though), an Amati, and one other old violin.  I have no idea why a few of the old violins have missing or combined B+ modes.

Looks like a fun fiddle.

18 hours ago, Don Noon said:

OK, that looks very strange around the B modes.  It would be helpful if you could have minor gridlines on the frequency axis, but it looks like the B1+ mode is either one of those insignificant blips, or one of the twin peaks well below 500 Hz.  I'll guess the latter.  That kind of closely spaced B modes with very low B1+ frequency I have only seen on radical experiments with very low top arching... but also on a relatively poor Strad (the plot above 1kHz doesn't look like a Strad, though), an Amati, and one other old violin.  I have no idea why a few of the old violins have missing or combined B+ modes.

Looks like a fun fiddle.

The b1+ is around 490, if it’s the twin peak below 500 (that’s my suspicion)...   

The top arch is around 15.5.  

Mid 18th century violin. 

• 7 months later...