Maestronet Forums

A.D.'s new bench

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Ah, that would be the plowden, yes?  This one was more inspired by the Kreisler, although I’m working on a bench copy of the plowden at the moment.  I’ll post some photos of it with the original once complete. 

Yes, Plowden.  You have some great pictures of the original.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

So more on the horse/rabbit/ash concoction..

Starts out with a bunch of horse manure in a bucket with a plugged drain hole in the bottom.  Ashes are layered throughout the mess (around 2 quarts in a five gallon bucket).  A gallon or so of rabbit urine and/or watered down ammonia is added and the whole thing sits for a couple days until it's dried out on the surface.  I open the plug and let the stuff drain into another bucket, plug it back up and add the drained liquid back in plus enough water to turn the whole thing into sludge.  I let it drain and re-cycle it every day or so until the stuff coming out is thick and more reddish.  Then boil it briefly, skim the foam off the top and dilute and let settle.

IMG_7332.thumb.JPG.0933167f7322423b199f1da192b3cad0.JPG

IMG_7331.thumb.JPG.f3e55b96f056b16e1899a532fb25304a.JPG

Here's a comparison between it and nitrite (3% solution).  The two solutions were applied to different ends of the same piece of rib stock with very consistent flaming and left in the light box for a couple days.  Nitrite on top.

IMG_7329.thumb.JPG.c1c6bf59715488df84fd24fa68cf1f20.JPGIMG_7330.thumb.JPG.74334412b2ff2d0ed6c122d2050ed95a.JPG

Something else to consider is the color changes the longer you let it ferment.  The earlier in the fermentation process you use the stuff the browner it is, if you wait longer it's much more golden-cinnamon colored.  Here's another test strip with the solution applied from two different stages.

IMG_7333.thumb.JPG.183773126b430e18601815a214161c4f.JPG

Do you apply additional coats until you get the color your aiming for? Is there any risk of greying that can happen if you over do the nitrite?  In my test samples I’ve noticed that you can reverse the stain a little with a damp rag. I like that little bit of extra control.  Your results look nice. 

8 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Do you apply additional coats until you get the color your aiming for? Is there any risk of greying that can happen if you over do the nitrite?  In my test samples I’ve noticed that you can reverse the stain a little with a damp rag. I like that little bit of extra control.  Your results look nice. 

You can make this stuff pretty much as dark or light as you want and it will look good.  I haven't been able to get it out, though..

6 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Very nice color, AD. Put a clear coat of varnish on it and do some permanence testing in sunlight or UV. Good luck!

BTW, any problems with flies? :D

Thanks, Mike!  I’ve usef this stuff on probably 40 instruments at this point.  There some initial fading in UV, but it doesn’t go back to bright white wood, more like what you see on the Longuet Strad.  

Here it is with a ground layer. 1A78E3FE-75BF-4269-AA00-BAEDD5F7CAC5.thumb.jpeg.cb1b258db8cd8042f9314f091eaf36d8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 11:56 PM, Advocatus Diaboli said:

So more on the horse/rabbit/ash concoction..

Starts out with a bunch of horse manure in a bucket with a plugged drain hole in the bottom.  Ashes are layered throughout the mess (around 2 quarts in a five gallon bucket).  A gallon or so of rabbit urine and/or watered down ammonia is added and the whole thing sits for a couple days until it's dried out on the surface.  I open the plug and let the stuff drain into another bucket, plug it back up and add the drained liquid back in plus enough water to turn the whole thing into sludge.  I let it drain and re-cycle it every day or so until the stuff coming out is thick and more reddish.  Then boil it briefly, skim the foam off the top and dilute and let settle.

IMG_7332.thumb.JPG.0933167f7322423b199f1da192b3cad0.JPG

IMG_7331.thumb.JPG.f3e55b96f056b16e1899a532fb25304a.JPG

Here's a comparison between it and nitrite (3% solution).  The two solutions were applied to different ends of the same piece of rib stock with very consistent flaming and left in the light box for a couple days.  Nitrite on top.

IMG_7329.thumb.JPG.c1c6bf59715488df84fd24fa68cf1f20.JPGIMG_7330.thumb.JPG.74334412b2ff2d0ed6c122d2050ed95a.JPG

Something else to consider is the color changes the longer you let it ferment.  The earlier in the fermentation process you use the stuff the browner it is, if you wait longer it's much more golden-cinnamon colored.  Here's another test strip with the solution applied from two different stages.

IMG_7333.thumb.JPG.183773126b430e18601815a214161c4f.JPG

Dare I ask how one is supposed to get a rabbit to pee in a cup?