Sign in to follow this  
tartarane

relationship between camber and balance on a bow

my other question is

if I change the weight at the frog (with the lapping)  I change the balance of the bow

so somewhere along the line I should look at the camber of the bow

does any body have an idea how the two influence each other ( more weight more camber ? more weight different camber ?)

should I make the camber greater at the frog if I add weight`?

thank you for your ideas

tartarane

41 minutes ago, tartarane said:

my other question is

if I change the weight at the frog (with the lapping)  I change the balance of the bow

so somewhere along the line I should look at the camber of the bow

does any body have an idea how the two influence each other ( more weight more camber ? more weight different camber ?)

should I make the camber greater at the frog if I add weight`?

thank you for your ideas

tartarane

I do not follow the logic, one does not necessitate the other.  I am interested in hearing the reasoning however....

ok

my bow is say too light

I put a 0.3 diameter thread instead of the fishbone lapping

my bow is then around 2 or 3 gr. heavier at the frog end than before

the balance point of the bow( by that I mean the place where you balance the bow ,  the tip and the frog are at the same height when hold on a finger) moves in direction of the frog

for me the camber takes care of the elasticity of the stick, so when the stick is heavier, it should gain somewhere in stifness at the frog.i thought by changing the camber and move it toward the tip of the bow or by giving more camber I should be able to compensate  this change.

Sorry it is difficult to explain I hope you understand what I mean.

I am just trying to work out how to compensate the weaknesses of the bow

thanks

1 hour ago, tartarane said:

ok

my bow is say too light

I put a 0.3 diameter thread instead of the fishbone lapping

my bow is then around 2 or 3 gr. heavier at the frog end than before

the balance point of the bow( by that I mean the place where you balance the bow ,  the tip and the frog are at the same height when hold on a finger) moves in direction of the frog

for me the camber takes care of the elasticity of the stick, so when the stick is heavier, it should gain somewhere in stifness at the frog.i thought by changing the camber and move it toward the tip of the bow or by giving more camber I should be able to compensate  this change.

Sorry it is difficult to explain I hope you understand what I mean.

I am just trying to work out how to compensate the weaknesses of the bow

thanks

Not quite, the elasticity of the stick has to do with camber along with graduation and proximity to the frog.   Gaining strength in one sense may be adding camber and in another removing camber.  Also, balance is not really a sliding scale, making the wrap heavier and heavier does not have a counter measure; and if the stick is too weak, you can only add strength in one direction while losing strength in the other.  There is no free lunch.

BTW-  I think by “thread” you mean wire.

yes sorry

my "thread" is your "wire" :-))       my french got in the way

thank you for your answer. I am aware that it is complicated

up to now I just tried on the stick in question. Sometimes it works , sometimes not.

I thought it not beneficial to change the camber of the same bow again and again till it works, so I was trying to get

some more objective rules than my feelings.

tartarane

9 hours ago, tartarane said:

yes sorry

my "thread" is your "wire" :-))       my french got in the way

thank you for your answer. I am aware that it is complicated

up to now I just tried on the stick in question. Sometimes it works , sometimes not.

I thought it not beneficial to change the camber of the same bow again and again till it works, so I was trying to get

some more objective rules than my feelings.

tartarane

The best person I know on relative camber issues is Michael Yeats http://www.michaelyeats.com/. He has an article in the IPCI books on the subject, but I am afraid I do not remember the points he makes.  Have a look if it is available.

https://www.ipci-canada.org/about

thank you Jerry

I read it again. He gives some indications about elasticity and camber  which could be very usefull

As he says on his site people don't talk very much about this subject.

anyway thanks for your ideas

Tartarane

" so when the stick is heavier, it should gain somewhere in stifness at the frog"

The wrap, no matter what weight,  does not add to the stiffness. Try wrapping some wire around a pencil, like you would a bow stick, then slide the wrap off the pencil, and see how stiff the "spring" that you've made is, compared to the stiffness of a bow stick near the frog.