Maestronet Forums

What’s my Roman Teller 1966 violin worth approximately

awinter82

So, awinter82... Are you the seller? Or an interested buyer?  Why not post this in the Auction Scroll?  Having done it this way, it seems that you are trying to mislead us about your intentions, and this justifiably makes members cranky.  If it is really yours and you're trying to sell it, loosen the hair on the bow.  Hopefully you haven't destroyed the camber on it yet. 

I’ve been told a really good Roman Teller violin might retail for about $6k; however, there are a lot of fakes out there. I have a cello on my bench right now with a Teller label. On removing the top, I found the actual maker’s signature on the inside of the top. Some dealers have been known to relabel W.K. Fuchs instruments as Tellers to get more for them. If you’re considering it as a purchase, have someone you can trust check it out to confirm its authenticity. 

Assuming that you are the seller, and it appear that you are, setting a "buy it now" price toward the high end and being open to offers seems to be a decent way to go about determining a value.  I sold a violin that way on ebay a couple years ago.  Nobody had been able tell me for sure what it was.  It was "interesting."  I set the BIN price at $2500 and within 30 minutes had a couple of lowball offers of around $1,000.  But within a few weeks someone offered me $2,000 and I accepted.  I also offered to take it back if the buyer wasn't satisfied.  A two week return policy.  It didn't come back. 

15 hours ago, deans said:

For that particular one I would up it to 2-3K retail in a shop near me. Maybe more. These are usually good servicable instruments

I agree with Deans, I would put this for around $3K in my shop.  $4K is way too much (imo) for this violin, without the  benefits of what a violinshop can offer to a buyer.

• 2 years later...