Sign in to follow this  
orenchi

How to talk to students after losing compeition

I have a high school age student who just lost a competition. There are many positives to the experience (student improved, worked hard, etc) but also I heard the recording and there were some pretty obvious errors that resulted in him not winning.  My question to you all is how would you discuss this with the student, to encourage him and but also give them feedback on what wasn't good (preparing too difficult a piece, not heeding my preparation methods, not practicing enough)? I must also tread carefully around the parent, who in involved and helps with the preparation.

First, tell him at least 3 things that were good about his performance. Then ask him what he thought about it. He will likely be more critical than you in his critique. Then ask him what he would/could/might do next time to improve.

Show him exactly what was wrong, and exactly how to fix it.  Should be obvious.   Most teachers are way too unspecific.  Also, next time make sure he's in a mindset where he doesn't expect to win, but believes  there is a chance he'll win  (unless he's just there for the experience).  Expecting to win and not winning is the cause of disappointment.

Agree with George.... ask him what he would have done differently now that it is behind him, and ask what advise he would give to another student preparing for a similar competition.