Sign in to follow this  
Digger

Questions regarding my Hill bow markings...

I have a gold mounted Hill bow that I'm curious about.  In the wood is stamped "T   38."  In front of the eyelet is stamped "T" while behind it is stamped "U."  The "T" I understand identifies the frog as going with that particular bow. What does the "C" do?

Also, what does the "38" signify? The number of the bow? The year?

Finally, there appears to be a small "4"  stamped on the head plate. Does that signify it was made by Leslie Bailey?

ctcropped.jpg

platenumber.jpg

The number 4 was Leslie Bailey’s. I think the 38 signifies the year it was made, which would be the year before Bailey left the shop and bowmaking. It’s hard to see the letters on the stick and frog clearly in the photo, but the letters in those places were used in the workshop during the making process. A lot of the bows featured work by more than one employee, so the letters can be different. 

1 hour ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

The number 4 was Leslie Bailey’s. I think the 38 signifies the year it was made, which would be the year before Bailey left the shop and bowmaking. It’s hard to see the letters on the stick and frog clearly in the photo, but the letters in those places were used in the workshop during the making process. A lot of the bows featured work by more than one employee, so the letters can be different. 

Thanks. You would think there would be a reference somewhere to explain all this. For what it's worth, here's a slightly better picture of the "T   38."

t38marked.jpg

The C letter (or the T) its to pair up each stick to the correspondent frog. You should see the same letter mirrored on bottom flat under the frog. 

Are you sure theres only 2 numbers? I think I can see 2 numbers before 38..

21 hours ago, aletrop said:

The C letter (or the T) its to pair up each stick to the correspondent frog. You should see the same letter mirrored on bottom flat under the frog. 

Are you sure theres only 2 numbers? I think I can see 2 numbers before 38..

That's the thing. There is a T stamped in the wood, but what is the "C" supposed to link to?  My mediocre photography skills might make it look like an extra number, but up close and in person, "38" is all there is. Thanks for your input.

In that case 38 its the year. and according to the 4 was made by L. Bailey, one year before leave H & sons.

theres no C stamped on the stick?