El Duce

Violin I/d?

Thanks Bf that's all good for me. So I can understand more about identification are there any telling features or is it more a case of familiarity through experience. Thanks again and much appreciated. 

The it possible that this is a French factory fiddle?  The thickness of the rib linings combined with scroll and thick purfling look more French, maybe Czech?

4 hours ago, El Duce said:

Thanks Bf that's all good for me. So I can understand more about identification are there any telling features or is it more a case of familiarity through experience. Thanks again and much appreciated. 

There are some features, especially the rib joints pointing to a build on the back construction, the scroll with the small rounded eye and the varnish. Nothing of this is usually french.

3 hours ago, ClefLover said:

The it possible that this is a French factory fiddle?  The thickness of the rib linings combined with scroll and thick purfling look more French, maybe Czech?

Shape of the top blockis also French.

I have absolutely no clue what's french about the linings or top block, nor "purfling thickness". This all goes along with usual Vogtland work (and "Czech", as it means the Schönbach region, is a part of it).

Once more, at least the rib joints are untypical for a french outside mould used in the assumed period, as well as for the older built around preglued blocks method. Anything else sounds like guessing.

High

4 hours ago, Blank face said:

I have absolutely no clue what's french about the linings or top block, nor "purfling thickness". This all goes along with usual Vogtland work (and "Czech", as it means the Schönbach region, is a part of it).

Once more, at least the rib joints are untypical for a french outside mould used in the assumed period, as well as for the older built around preglued blocks method. Anything else sounds like guessing.

The high linings are typical for French Mirecourt violins, and so are the square shaped blocks and wide purfling.

5 minutes ago, uguntde said:

High

The high linings are typical for French Mirecourt violins, and so are the square shaped blocks and wide purfling.

In this period (early 20th century) this is also common at Vogtland violins (as well as outside mould constructed). I have seen much like this of saxon origin, but no Mirecourts with rib joints clamped together.

BTW, "high linings" are a bit different (higher) in my eyes.