Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Gordge violin case


laustephen498
 Share

Recommended Posts

Nicest Gorge case I saw had an Ealing Strings tag and must have been made just after he left Hills. It was from the early 1970s and had a white/cream canvas cover with a crushed  orange velvet interior! I sold it for £300 to a collector who had it refurbished by Timms for a justifiably larger sum...Wish I'd kept it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s great, Melvin. It’s rare to find a Gordge violin case in good condition nowadays. I had a friend who also had a gordge case with Beare’s tag. I guess they cost quite a lot now. 

I bought this case for 220£ without the key.;( So I am looking for replacement cover and lock. But seems like Timm don’t do that anymore.  I hope it won’t cost more than 100£. Any suggested violin case restorer in the UK? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

What's the fascination with this case and Jaeger too?  They're not good cases

I've had exactly two personal cases over the last 50 years.  Both Jaegar.  The one I have now was purchased after my first one was given to a very broke student after I used it for over 20 years; 10 of which included frequent trips on CTA busses and trains where I occasionally used it to prop up my butt when there was standing-room-only.  My "new" one still looks new, as I don't make public transportation trips with it... it was purchased in the early 90s.

I have clients who own Gorge cases they've recently worn out after 20+ years.  I now send them to Dimitri for a new case.

Other "survivor" cases include Lifton... and some of the Webers.  (I have one of both on my shelf)  I'm sure there are other old school cases that qualify (I still see early American cases, an occasional Hill case walks into the shop, and I still use one of the very early Riboni shippers).

Sure, no case is "perfect".  Other than the wearing out of covers, I've seen failures of hinges on the thermoplastic versions of Jaegar (but I own and have owned leather ones) and the weak spot on the Gordge cases are the flat bottom side... but I've only seen one or two failures there...  Bill, if they protect a fiddle well for 20 or 30 years of use, what makes these "not good cases".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

I've had exactly two personal cases over the last 50 years.  Both Jaegar.  The one I have now was purchased after my first one was given to a very broke student after I used it for over 20 years; 10 of which included frequent trips on CTA busses and trains where I occasionally used it to prop up my butt when there was standing-room-only.  My "new" one still looks new, as I don't make public transportation trips with it... it was purchased in the early 90s.

I have clients who own Gorge cases they've recently worn out after 20+ years.  I now send them to Dimitri for a new case.

I love my Jaeger and Gordge cases, but I rarely use them - since the Jaeger can't fit my shoulder rest and doesn't accept shoulder straps (it is an old leather case with a separate canvas cover) and the Gordge is in unused, practically "new" condition, and part of me wants to keep it that way (although I do feel it's a shame that it's sitting unused under my bed). They're both tough as hell - the well-known quartet violinist who sold me the Jaeger case told me that it would be able to support my weight if I were to try standing on it, so I tried it, with no apparent ill-effects.

Now I'm trying to look for a more beat-up Gordge case that I wouldn't feel bad about using on an everyday basis - that, or I'll need to save up for a Timms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Bill, if they protect a fiddle well for 20 or 30 years of use, what makes these "not good cases".

If someone took the important points of their design and just added suspension and velcro strap it would be an improvement, and that probably describes the average decent modern case, costing a lot less.  Not saying a G or J case will get your fiddle killed exactly.  I have a sentimental soft spot for J myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

If someone took the important points of their design and just added suspension and velcro strap it would be an improvement, and that probably describes the average decent modern case, costing a lot less.  Not saying a G or J case will get your fiddle killed exactly.  I have a sentimental soft spot for J myself.

What's the life expectancy of a velcro strap...Would you be seen using one to fasten your shoes? :P.  

I always admired the G  Hill/post Hill simple lines as described by Stephen earlier in this thread. The case in it's looks is smart and functional and never trying to out do the object it contains.  It is proven in long service too! The last case I bought was a nice carbon fiber bullet case with suspension etc but the thing is shiny and smooth and as slippery as a greased piglet and is guaranteed to get dropped a lot!.  Possibly the most physically tough case I had was a Hiscox. But in the end the fact is that no case usable on a daily basis will protect the violin fully  unless the case itself is also looked after very well being protected from impact and adverse climate etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Jaegar has had it's ups and downs. I once owned a stunning one from about 1970, with  both a leather covered exterior and a leather suede interior,  with gold plated hardware.

Things change. These days, I'm mostly recommending Musafia on the spendy side, or Bobelock on the cheap side.

Jaegar was the standard pro case back then from what I can remember, maybe the only one.  Saw them everywhere.  From what I can remember.  I was just a babe.  Vastly more choices these days.  And soon to be dropped on your head by drone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, devaraja42 said:

... and the Gordge is in unused, practically "new" condition, and part of me wants to keep it that way (although I do feel it's a shame that it's sitting unused under my bed)...

Now I'm trying to look for a more beat-up Gordge case that I wouldn't feel bad about using on an everyday basis ...

Er...who are you saving it for? Moi? ^_^

I will gladly use it up for you! Save you the pain of doing so!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...