Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

Trigger finger

I have a problem with my right thumb: trigger finger. It seems a surgery will be necessary, the doctor said it is a simple one.

Any experience with that? Thanks!

13 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

I have a problem with my right thumb: trigger finger. It seems a surgery will be necessary, the doctor said it is a simple one.

Any experience with that? Thanks!

Do you mean it sometimes "locks" in a bent position? If it is that, it usually requires a small (day hospital) operation on the carpal tunnel that surrounds the tendon so that the tendon can again move freely. As it is now, something is binding, causing your thumb to "lock" in position.

That's all I'm going to say, I'm not a doctor. My wife had this condition on one of her fingers where it would "lock" in a bent position.

Numerous violinists that I deal with have had the same issue. As Bruce said, day surgery, but a bit of time before you will be able to go back to work.

I had trigger finger surgery on my left hand pinky. Before surgery, the pain made it impossible to play for more than 10 minutes. Now I don't even think about it.

Hi Manfio,

Sorry to hear about your hand.

Good news is trigger surgeries are one of the most common, most foolproof, most likely to succeed operations you can have.

Slightly less optimal news: it is possible for things to go wrong (although very unusual to go catastrophically wrong). A second surgery to remove scar tissue from a less than optimal first surgery can happen, but they don't tend to tell you that beforehand. A real operation seems better than needle aponeurotomy, etc.? Talk to your surgeon.

Some thoughts: for just about any hand surgery, you are going to want to make sure that your doctor allows early mobilization. We are talking 7-10 days. Also, as soon as the surgery site has closed up, it's good to start scar tissue massage (basically mashing around the area with circular pressure), even if the wound looks small. Scar tissue starts from the outside inward, as far as I've heard. Vitamin E oil is sometimes recommended, but that can cause contact dermatitis. If you can get ahold of calendula officianalis cream (maybe mixed with something like shea butter), that is ideal, and will really help keep scar tissue moisturized. You 1) have to keep the tissue from becoming dry, and 2) make sure you are moving the tissue and keeping it from locking up. Massaging hurts, but if you do it right (and all the time every hour for days upon days), your hand can be almost as good as new in very short time.

Big fan of your instruments by the way. Love your wood choice!

S

Thank you all! I made some physical therapy sessions with no good results. And yes, it is getting worse.

I will have the opinion of a third doctor tomorrow.

I had a horrible tendinitis in this same finger about 20 years ago. 

I think it is important to consider what you routinely do that could be the cause of the trigger finger.  Could it be something you do to make violas?   Musicians who become injured this way have often found that it was their technique, not just the particular activity, that is responsible.  When they change their technique the tendinitis goes away with rest.

I think it may be linked to making....   using small finger planes seems to be quite bad for our fingers.

Yes I've had experience with that,,,

Trigger thumb right now for the last 5 days,,,the worst I've ever had, when I wake up in the morning it's pulled back like a loaded crossbow! It's work to get er open then it POPs!,, I work to get it shut, then it PoPs over the center, hurts like crazy.

I wouldn't Ever get surgery for that,, EVER !

I've had carpel tunnel many times, numb fingers, numb hand, feels like a hot burning knife in the middle of the wrist, I've done a lot of rough heavy work all my life, beat the heck out of my hands,, it can be a . PAIN !!!! Can't open a door, can't twist a door knob, can't even pick anything up, very difficult to wipe my ass, pick my nose,,, or no way to make a fiddle.

I always fix it myself. It's always my fault anyway,,,I would never have to if I was  good boy,,, but often I'm not,, this part of the anatomy is highly sensitive to many things,

Glyphosate is quite suspect in areas of collagen and muscle tissue,, the glyphosate can be taken up in place of a glycine in protein synthesis,, it can really wreck havoc. Muscular skeleton disease has greatly increased in the recent past,,,,it is everywhere. 

Wheat, gluten, oats are all implicated in different types of muscle tendon inflammation.  These things are also highly soaked in glyphosate so who knows?  Too much of this stuff for too long and I feel like I'm getting arthritis.  You never know what's affecting the condition until you isolate it. 

,too much tannic acid and things won't slide, highly astringent

I get on a binge and drink too much tea for to long,, or coffee,

,lack of silica in my diet,, modern science has pretty much destroyed natural balance with anything every where. With artificial fertilizers there is no fulvic acid to up take the minerals you need we don't get them like we used to. Tendons Have to have plenty of available silica,, HAVE to have it. Fulvic acid also removes toxins from the body,, the joints, the muscles,,, there is a shortage of it in a lot of food today.

to many dairy products, with sugar , it can really inflame muscle tissue,,,Highly inflammatory,, plus higher blood sugar causes massive inflammation

too many nightshades, the alkaloids are rough on muscle tissue and tendons, got to take a break from it,,,,

Some salsa eating friends had salsa with every meal, hotter than a blow torch,,,,,,,,,they  were getting stiff and in constant pain,,, they did try stopping the nightshades and wow did they ever feel great after a while. Things affect some folks more than others.

Eating too much protein especially with a weak digestive system and uric acid levels can sky rocket,, a goiter is long term uric acid poisoning,, plenty of bad stuff happens long before these symptoms shows up. Many arthritis suffers just have too much uric acid in their body.

Too much copper,,,, that will make the body think it has a zinc deficiency,,,

Not enough zinc and it can help cause inflammation in my tendons,, that is for sure one thing I take,,,, zinc when I have a sign of tendonitis anywhere.

Zinc is good, and licorice root, and vitamin c, those are my first  three go to things.

With full blown carpel inflammation when I finally decide to get serious and do something,,,, I  watch my diet, plenty of veggies, no nightshades, no sugar, dairy, coffee or tea, cut back the meat and basically clean house,,,, make fresh vegetable juice,, drink plenty of water, take lots of minerals, b vitamins, b 100's a couple a day, Fresh ginger root,,

after about three days the pain is gone and just working out the soreness for a couple of more days I'm  usually good to go.

So why you might ask do I repeatedly go through this only to turn around and trash myself and then  repent for my bad habits,,, I stupid and all to human.

Ice cream is really good, love salsa,, water,,, no fun to drink,, love tea,,,,,,,

This last go around that brought on the latest trigger thumb,was from the 5 gallons of fresh Kombucha tea that I have just brewed up,, I love the stuff, people drink a small glass a day, I go for several quarts,,, what the heck,, I'm half nutts I tell ya!!!, I would bring fermenting jugs to the fiddle workshops,, too be sure,,,, NOBODY EVER TOUCHED IT !  Its All Mine,, Little Precious!!

Any of these things can exacerbate an inflamed joint ligament muscle condition singularly or corporately depending upon the situation.

I would rather fix things like this because it is happening for a reason and If I don't do something to fix it at the source,, next it will be surgery on my wrists, then my knees, then my hips, when there are symptoms it is just a warning of things to come,the human body was designed to work just fine if it is provided with the proper  energy sources to function as it should, so the first line of defense is to make sure all my ducks are in a row.,,,,,,,,  and there are some great massage tricks to loosen up tendons and muscles while they're getting cleaned out and getting fed some good  stuff to heal them,,,,,,,,,I just got to sweep the whole house first and do my part, and if that doesn't work,,,,    Well it always has.

This is not medical advise, always seek professional help,,

Stuff rattling around in Evan's Head.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:03 AM, gowan said:

I think it is important to consider what you routinely do that could be the cause of the trigger finger.  Could it be something you do to make violas?   Musicians who become injured this way have often found that it was their technique, not just the particular activity, that is responsible.  When they change their technique the tendinitis goes away with rest.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, MANFIO said:

I think it may be linked to making....   using small finger planes seems to be quite bad for our fingers.

I had a severe rotator cuff problem in my shoulder that came from the way I was using a machine.  A surgeon probably would have operated.  I analyzed and corrected the way I was using my arms and the problem went away (completely, like it was never there).  If I'd had surgery and then continued doing what I was doing, I wonder where I'd be.  Just food for thought.

@Evan Smith

Too much of anything is an issue. It is impossible to pinpoint or blame one "chemical". Every organism reacts differently to every chemical. The best thing to do is be moderate in all things.

Yet, humans and moderation - don't seem to go well together...

My sister was having a trigger finger issue that persisted for a long time. They were doing some injections and getting ready to do surgery a few years ago, and I tried a trigger point massage targeting the muscles in the forearm that would link to that finger. Definitely a lot of tension, and in the morning she had a bigger improvement than anything she had done over the last 6 months with the doctor. I did one more session and as far as I know it hasn't been a problem since. Or at least she didn't mention it and didn't have surgery. 

I would think that your PT would have addressed it if it could be addressed in this manner, however, I thought it was worth mentioning. The idea behind trigger point therapy (myofascial therapy) is that you find the nodal points that are binding blood vessels and nerves and you work those areas. Often you get get a surprising amount of relief in a short time as long as there isn't a lot of inflammation in the area. The trigger point would often cause pain to be referred elsewhere so you may find the spot in the meaty part of your forearm and get a tingling in your fingers. With the type of injury you describe, though, I wouldn't count on a referred pain to identify the spot. You would definitely want to work both the extensor and abductor. A thorough massage ought to do the same thing, but may take longer and be somewhat less effective on deep trigger points. The thumb abductor and extensors are somewhat buried under larger muscles. I occasionally have a masseuse work forearms and hands, and it actually can improve strength and control a bit when I'm too stiff. 

I'm not a medical professional, but I studied anatomy in school and picked up quite a bit in dealing with my own sports, work, and other injuries. Especially useful for migraines. My theory on my sister's trigger finger was that the chronic tension in the over-used muscle was causing the tendon to rub excessively, and if I could loosen up the muscle enough it would stop the irritation that causes the tendon to catch. I didn't expect it to literally work over night, but it seemed to.

2 hours ago, MANFIO said:

I will try some acupuncture sessions.

Acupuncture is shear quackery that is only good for lining the pockets of its practitioners. Controlled scientific studies using "mockupuncture" and other placebo controls have shown this repeatedly. There is lots of information about this on the Science-Based Medicine  website:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/false-claims-for-acupuncture/

Save your money and get the surgery. The only thing I regret about my trigger finger surgery is not having it done sooner.