Sign in to follow this  
Prizm

violin shop near Carnegie Hall in 1950

Was there a violin maker with a name like Hartel near Carnegie Hall in the 1950's?

I met a man yesterday who said that his grandfather had a shop there. Now I can not recall the name and have no contact with this person. 

Thanks

8 hours ago, Prizm said:

Was there a violin maker with a name like Hartel near Carnegie Hall in the 1950's?

I met a man yesterday who said that his grandfather had a shop there. Now I can not recall the name and have no contact with this person. 

Thanks

Yes.  He later moved to Pittsburgh and I new him as a youngster.  When I got to Francais’, Rene would tell stories about going over to Erwin’s place to work on touchup with him.  When I knew him it was after his stroke and he only talked through his wife interpreting.

The name was Erwin Hertel. Came from Germany when he was hired by Emile Herrman. Then worked for Wurlitzer. Opened his own shop in Carnegie Hall. Moved to Pittsburgh after he had a stroke. I knew him and his family well. He used to let me hang out in the shop on Saturdays. I have a violin made by him.

1 minute ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Yes.  He later moved to Pittsburgh and I new him as a youngster.  When I got to Francais’, Rene would tell stories about going over to Irwin’s place to work on touchup with him.  When I knew him it was after his stroke and he only talked through his wife interpreting.

Wow a similar story. Are you from Pittsburgh? 

Just now, scordatura said:

Wow a similar story. Are you from Pittsburgh? 

Yes, North Hills.  I used to go down and show him the violins I was working on.  Later, the Kschier Brothers before the fire.

4 minutes ago, scordatura said:

Yes in the Volkwein's building which is now the Andy Warhol museum as you might know.

Yes.  Pittsburgh is a well kept secret, I hope no one is listening in....

2 minutes ago, scordatura said:

Great place to grow up.

Hell yea, the vintage car races, the three rivers rigatta, the Steelers in the 70’s, and music in Southside on Friday nights. 

And Primanti Bros.

Haha that was probably my dad that you met. Erwin Hertel was my great-grandfather. I would love to learn more about his life and work if there are more stories to share. I'm only an amateur cellist, but I would love someday to obtain one of his cellos.