Maestronet Forums

L & T Carcasi scroll 'beauty spot'?

Omobono

In flicking through the recently ended tarisio auction files I spotted a Carcassi head (it doesn't state the head is not original) with what appears to be either a rivet/(stud?) or decorative black dot at the center of the volute of the scroll on both sides. I cannot recall ever seeing something like this before. Nor do I see any similar device in any other Carcassi. 

I seem to have some recollection of a similar idea on some early fiddle with perhaps a gemstone removed?

(Or a I getting confused with the 'Red Violin' in the fictitious story?)

Any thoughts about this?

What does come to mind is the 18th Century 'beauty spot' fashion..... :P

bs.PNG

LTC.PNG

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

I think there was briefly a fashion for setting a precious stone in the eye of the scroll.

Briefly, Martin, because the precious stones became a distraction?

What do you think was going on with the Soil above?

The Nicolo Amati "King Louis XIV, ex Youssoupov" violin of 1656 has gemstones set into the eyes of the scroll (a ruby in one side and an emerald in the other). There are also matching gemstones incorporated into the fleur-de-lis designs on the top plate. I can't find a good picture of the scroll online, but it's part of the Corcoran collection in DC, and featured in a few books/articles.

3 hours ago, joshuabeyer said:

The Nicolo Amati "King Louis XIV, ex Youssoupov" violin of 1656 has gemstones set into the eyes of the scroll (a ruby in one side and an emerald in the other). There are also matching gemstones incorporated into the fleur-de-lis designs on the top plate. I can't find a good picture of the scroll online, but it's part of the Corcoran collection in DC, and featured in a few books/articles.

Good Catch!
http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_763853

• 4 years later...
On 3/29/2018 at 7:00 PM, Ron1 said:

My favorite American maker occasionally added ebony extensions to the ears of his scrolls, as well as other (usually ebony) trim at various other locations on his instruments.

5abd7d96ba474_1926No.565Scrollback.jpg.4799e28bc04131d898e199bc5e0f3ef2.jpg

Goddess Scroll 2.jpg

Hi I know this is very old, but which American maker are you referring to?