Sign in to follow this  
stefan1

Strad Style - On DVD and BLU-RAy

Hmm, Interesting. Technically is SHOULD be available in Canada. I shall talk to the distributor. Thank you for your interest and I will make sure to get it resolved! :) Thanks!!!

I will note - it IS available on Amazon.com (US), for whatever that's worth. 

In case you haven't use Amazon out-of-country, you can use your Canadian credit card and your Canadian Amazon account and password to buy things at US Amazon.  I (US) have bought things from Amazon in Canada, France, and Japan using my US account and password with no problems. 

I have given up trying to get it for now. Amazon provide it only for mobile devices and I don't want to watch it on a phone. I spent 15 mintues trying to sign up on Vudu, but even after password reset, and reluctantly giving them access to my facebook account, they just keep giving login failed with no explanation. Once technology catches up to the point where you can just pay and stream or download the movie to a normal laptop, I very much look forward to watching.

Vudu finally took my money.

Will they let me watch the video? No way. They say 'could not connect to server.'

If you are thinking of buying or renting this move from Vudu: Just don't.  Buy it elsewhere or find some other way to watch it.

OK, it was a discounted first purchase, so my onging efforts to watch Strad Style only cost me the discounted price of $0.99, half an hour, and a load of stress. Dropping $0.99 on this non-working video service is something I can afford, if not the time and stress. Avoid.

I just asked my library to order it, and they bought two copies. I am not sure that was a good idea. This movie is sick. No violin maker could enjoy this. He's performing incantations to the devil over the box and stuff. Yet, there is a certain charm. Mostly the charm of a train wreck.., you never see the guy do any of the difficult parts. I'm sure he didn't. Couldn't. It'll drive you bonkers watching him make the box though.

Then the soloist makes an album and calls it Strad Style. Says the violin is magical. And I kept thinking on the purported maker's massive mistakes and failure in basic tool handling.... it's going to upset any of you who see it. My advice is to find enough alcohol to drink during the film that you forget what you have seen. 

On 5/19/2018 at 4:53 PM, not telling said:

I just asked my library to order it, and they bought two copies. I am not sure that was a good idea. This movie is sick. No violin maker could enjoy this. He's performing incantations to the devil over the box and stuff. Yet, there is a certain charm. Mostly the charm of a train wreck.., you never see the guy do any of the difficult parts. I'm sure he didn't. Couldn't. It'll drive you bonkers watching him make the box though.

Then the soloist makes an album and calls it Strad Style. Says the violin is magical. And I kept thinking on the purported maker's massive mistakes and failure in basic tool handling.... it's going to upset any of you who see it. My advice is to find enough alcohol to drink during the film that you forget what you have seen. 

https://houcksfineviolins.com

Well, I enjoyed it. It might not fit with everyone's world view,  but for me  presence of rather too much titebond was rather more disturbing than a bit of candle magick! It is after  all a movie for entertainment, not a template for how to build a violin or to live your life. It was an entertainment. Daniel seems a nice guy struggling with a lot of issues and if this little film helps him on his way, good for him. i only hope that the titebond was purely for cinematic effect!

PS streamed from you tube: worked perfectly.

On 5/31/2018 at 1:55 AM, Televet said:

PS streamed from you tube: worked perfectly.

Thanks. $3.99. They do not make it easy for users in Europe.

Mr Houk's dedication and enthusiasm deserve success.

The Titebond is described as "The first hide glue in liquid, ready to use form" so perhaps not so bad for violins?

The violin was said to have been presented to Pierce Brosnan.

John, I'm so sorry that VUDU made it difficult to watch the movie. As the filmmaker, it's frustrating when people can't easily and painlessly watch the movie.  Same with Amazon. 

Hope more of you will watch Strad Style and pass the word on about the movie. (or course only if you enjoyed it. ;)

I would like to add that we are working on European distribution and hoping to have it available on Amazon.UK very very soon!

Still waiting to see it too. But I haven't checked for the most recent options...

On 6/2/2018 at 8:31 AM, John_London said:

The Titebond is described as "The first hide glue in liquid, ready to use form" so perhaps not so bad for violins?

There have been several threads on MN about this stuff.  It is, IMHO, not sufficiently trustworthy for luthiery use, and has a limited shelf life.  Avoid it. :)

I bought the DVD off Amazon a few months ago but got busy and didn't try watching until recently.

Funny thing is, it appears that the DVD is blank. I have tried it on several different computers and it won't play.

Now it's too late to return it.

Anyone else have this happen?

So I just finished watching this film. Entertaining to say the least. I really could relate to the parts highlighting basic beginner struggles like center joints not coming together and having to take a batten to someone with a jointer more than once lol. Or those exact Harbor Freight clamps that I have (which happen to work fine for me) failing. 

The whole time though, I was wondering how much of the professional luthier's hand was in the final product. 

Great flick, though. 

Well - finally ordered it. Waited forever for it to arrive....from Germany no less...

Got all settled in for the evening...and...

My DVD player said "cannot play disc".....

:angry:

Got one off eBay. Same deal. Apparently someone is bootlegging this film. Mine was clearly a writeable disc. And by the time I realized it was too late to send back.  So I STILL haven’t seen it. 

23 hours ago, Rue said:

Well - finally ordered it. Waited forever for it to arrive....from Germany no less...

You can stream it if you have Amazon Prime I think.

Good suggestion - but I don't know if can stream.  Insufficient internet coverage...

I  will try it on a newer DVD player. Maybe that will work.  I also have a plug in CD/DVD player for my computer...I've never used it, but maybe that will work too?

The DVD was purchased from Amazon...so I hope it's not bootleg...

On 2/23/2019 at 5:40 PM, Rue said:

That's because the DVD is likely region specific.  Google your dvd player model, and look for an access code that will let it play all regions.  If you are lucky, your DVD has some hidden features.  Otherwise, if that doesn;t work, then likely the disc won't play because the copiest/copier? forgot to "close" the session so it would play on all players.  

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, stefan1 said:

For all you old-school people that like a physical disc in hand, Strad Style is Now available on DVD and BLU-RAY!  And loaded with extras, too! 
Hope you check it out. As makers, you're sure to get a kick out of it!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=strad+style

Strad_Style_DVD_DOD_Wrap_V1.jpg

Stefan,

I bought my DVD off Amazon and it is clearly a burned copy and I'm unable to watch your film on any region free player or computer. Whoever is selling your film on Amazon might be bootlegging it. I'm not the only person experiencing the same thing.

Please check into this as it is giving the movie a bad rap.