Sign in to follow this  
Omobono

Birdseye

Anyone else like their 'birdseye'?

This is the second fiddle I know of Santo Serafin that features this maple.

(from recent tarisio auction:  tarisio)

There is another formerly belonging to Paolo Peterlongo)

Are there any more? I wouldn't mind pulling that fiddle out of a case and showing it off.

beye.PNG

Very nice.  But how about this one?

71096317_614.jpg.03043519114356a1333e45e7b125d419.jpg

Available in my town for $250.  Ad warns:  "This is NOT a finely made violin."  Easier to pull out of the case and show off though.:P

I have some „Birds-eye“ wood, which I bought about 20 years ago from the Veneer factory in Gedersdorf. I believe it originated from Canada, but I don't think one need take the veneer mischpoka 's word for everything. The veneer people were absolutely ecstatic about the wood, and it cost 6 times as much as flamed maple.

I made a violin out of it, a copy of my Andreas Ferdinand Mayr of 1724, and the violin turned out exceptionally successful. To use though, it was like carving a lump of marble, and, for instance, cutting the purfling channel was a lot harder than usual, 'cos each piece involved cutting through what amounted to about 17 knots.

2 hours ago, Jeff Jetson said:

Are there any Strads out there made from birds eye maple?

Strad was evidently too skint to afford birds-eye maple. I can remember seeing one though (called „the Mahler“  I think) that had a great big knot in the back.

I have seen quite a few pictures of old Italians but did not see any from birds eye maple or knots in the wood.  Maybe the plainer ones and knotty ones are photographed less. Thanks Jacob.  My violin is curly maple with some birds eye spattered here and there, kinda neat looking.

I enjoyed looking at your birds eye violin George.

In the 90's I spent several years cutting and selling curly/tiger/flamed maple for violins, up here in Northern New England.

We have very fine flame figure, but sometimes a bit of mineral streak. We see a bit of birdseye as well.

When I was buying logs at log yards, I often competed with serious German veneer buyers for the same logs, and they loved the birdseye hard maple.

and they could always pay more than I could.

I had cut some birdseye at first, but found it hard to sell to violin luthiers, because it is so hard and dense, but guitar luthiers ate it up.

Up here in Maine, when you order a cord or two of firewood, it is not at all unusual to have nice some curly maple, and some birdseye!

2 hours ago, Jeff Jetson said:

I enjoyed looking at your birds eye violin George.

Thanks, Jeff!

If there are concerns that violins with birdseye maple backs are deficient in tone, this violin (n=1) is not an example of that. It has very nice tone and plenty of volume.

I guess the hardness is problem of just american sugar maple, which often shows birdseye. Is european birdseye harder than regular curly?

BTW, the german veneer companies set some quite ridiculous price records for birdseye logs here (slovakia) as well (I think the highest bid few years ago was 120k EUR for a very nice large log). For comparison I can buy nice violin/viola sized log (curly) for few 100Eur directly from woodcutters.

I finished a viola in the fall.  I have a piece to make another.  Was going for red.  I never see in my photos what I see in person.  The color is no where near as uniform as that; the Birdseye does show through nicely.  It is a hard maple, but it is slab cut, so maybe some of the stiffness is relived?  I didn't find it terribly stiff, but it certainly wasn't mush.  I'd buy more.

20180329_090938.thumb.jpg.f528c5f76a4ebe8ff9d20339830baef8.jpg