Sign in to follow this  
Matchu

"Opening Up"

I hear the term "opening up" used to describe the wood in older instruments all the time but how long does that normally take? I know that is a very complex topic but also what does "opening up" do to an instrument's sound that is so sought after by professional musicians wanting 18th and 19th century instruments?

Try google searching 'maestronet.com can of worms'.

Seriously, a great deal has been said on prior threads about this stuff. And it's not a straightforward topic.

2 hours ago, Matchu said:

I hear the term "opening up" used to describe the wood in older instruments all the time but how long does that normally take? I know that is a very complex topic but also what does "opening up" do to an instrument's sound that is so sought after by professional musicians wanting 18th and 19th century instruments?

Naw, just takes me a moment.  In my case it allows me to get at the cracks to cleat them on the inside, and to glue the blocks back down, which seems to create an improvement in most cases. :ph34r::lol:

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Naw, just takes me a moment.  In my case it allows me to get at the cracks to cleat them on the inside, and to glue the blocks back down, which seems to create an improvement in most cases. :ph34r::lol:

Fear of opening has forced me to cleat through an f-hole, I sprained my eye trying to see through the end pin, so desperate was I.

All would have well and good, were it not for the Evil presence of Yellow Glue !!,, holding this good, old, Juzek, in bondage.

"Opening up" can (is) much more than "playing in", and likely includes effects of drying varnish and aging wood, as well as the initial settling-in of the wood after initial stringup.  Acoustically, I think it shows up as stronger overtones as well as reducing the severity of "dropouts" in the response.  Most of these effects I would attribute to changes in damping.