Sign in to follow this  
Casuma

Josef Klotz violin

Well, it's a real violin, but not a Klotz.  There's no scroll graft (so, not old enough to be a Klotz anyway).  The bottom rib is in two pieces (an actual Mittenwald violin would have a one-piece bottom rib--how am I doing, Jacob?).  Scroll looks wrong, and no peg bushings makes me think it is a good deal younger than an 18th-c. violin.  Fingerboard is dyed wood (not ebony).  This appears to be what we call around here "the usual rubbish," c. 1900.  There is a certain amount of affection with that term, however.  These are violins that were mass-produced ("by the dozen"--literally "Dutzenarbeit") in Saxony and Bohemia, and though the folks that made them produced them with astonishing speed, sometimes they are great instruments to play.  So, if you paid the kind of money that an actual Josef Klotz would cost, that would have been a terrible mistake, but if this is--I don't know--fifty bucks and it sounds great, then--good for you!  Your last photo makes it look like you will need to get the seams reglued there... There of course may be other problems that could cost you some $$. 

Thank you. I actually rescued it from being turned into a floral decoration at our local habitat...lol think I gave $5 for it. Had it about a month before I ever looked for a label.

Awesome.  Five bucks is perfect!  So, take it to a luthier and get it checked out, seams glued, a real set of strings, a decent bridge fitting--a regular setup.  Be prepared to sink a couple hundred into it (or more, depending on where you are).  Possibly you could go with the strings first and play it and see if it has potential--make sure there's a soundpost in there first though.