BassClef

March 22, 2018 - MN Meetup? - Grand Reopening of MET Museum Instrument Room

After what seems like a couple of years, the musical instrument wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC is reopening to the public. 10am this Thursday! I will be checking it out in the afternoon. If anyone else from MN plans to attend on Day 1, post here and maybe we can meet up. I imagine I'll be there around 12:30ish.

One half of the wing will open Thursday with the other half being worked on and opening at a (much?) later date. I believe the side that will reopen Thursday will house the "classical" instruments while the other half had the "World" instruments however I don't know this for sure and it will be a fun reveal come Thursday. Who's coming?

Oooo... I would LOVE to...! They have some really nice hardangers that I would love to see. 

there is only one but.... Distance... :( 

19 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Is there an official announcement about this? I cannot find one.

No idea. I called the museum, hit 0 for the operator, then asked for the music department. There’s a nice lady who picks up who I’ve spoken to a few times. She told me the date. 

3 hours ago, Stavanger said:

Oooo... I would LOVE to...! They have some really nice hardangers that I would love to see. 

there is only one but.... Distance... :( 

I will make sure to photograph all of the The Heideggers for you Thursday! I wish we could bend time and space and teleport you guys to the reopening, good times would be had!

12 hours ago, BassClef said:

I will make sure to photograph all of the The Heideggers for you Thursday! I wish we could bend time and space and teleport you guys to the reopening, good times would be had!

Here is the one that can make me jealous about you guys being there, apart from just meeting up ofcourse :):) 

Excellent pictures!

I especially like the cashier giving you a little stink eye! :)

FWIW:  My daughter was in New York a couple of weeks ago for a mini-vacation...I know she ran in Central Park, not sure if she went to The Met...

28 minutes ago, Stavanger said:

Wonder what instrument BC will choose to accompany him in his mandatory selfie! :) 

Phone giving me error 200 now when I attempt to upload photos. There are two stunning hardangers that I captured for you.

35 minutes ago, Stavanger said:

Wonder what instrument BC will choose to accompany him in his mandatory selfie! :) 

Let me try this again...

D53854A5-2E75-40D7-B8FB-58B7A13D449B.png

There is a violin that is stunning that I don’t remember seeing before, “The Gould” Stradivari. Photos later when I can upload them from my camera.