Thomas Knight

VIOLIN ID HELP

10 minutes ago, Thomas Knight said:

Hello MN members, I have a lovely violin I am struggling to identify. It appears to be a good q

Might need a bit more to go on, than this

Hello MN members, I have a lovely violin I am struggling to identify. It appears to be a good quality violin with no label. In the dust balls were fragments of a label but only two words are legible and it may be a repair label. I thought a Paul Knorr but no PK stamp inside, and it also looks similar to an Aristide Cavalli with the deep fluting and fholes.

VIO_KNORR_15.JPG

VIO KNORR 16.JPG

VIO KNORR 11.JPG

VIO KNORR 13.JPG

VIO KNORR 3.JPG

I have a violin with the fluting of the lower wings like this. Similar look, as a whole, although yours is a bit more rustic. It bears a Mathias Heinicke label and is branded on both the side of the neck(!) and below the endbutton. 

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

20 minutes ago, duane88 said:

I have a violin with the fluting of the lower wings like this. Similar look, as a whole, although yours is a bit more rustic. It bears a Mathias Heinicke label and is branded on both the side of the neck(!) and below the endbutton. 

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

Yes, those lower wings do look quite similar. This one has no stamp anywhere.

The problem is that instrument labeled Heinicke was not made by Heinicke (in my humble opinion). It is some cheaper violin. Jiri

I've seen a few others like this with anything from no label or marks to Guarneri labels to the heavily branded thing that I have. I am not suggesting that mine is what it is branded and labeled, although if I find a brand under the label, which I hope to find, I'll let you know.

Can you post a picture of the endpin and saddle? Is is a one-piece bottom rib? Also, pictures of the scroll, front and back.

Hi George, two piece lower rib. I am getting closer with my light box and which bulbs to use. I made the pics smaller as well. Hope these are better sized. Pine blocks and spruce linings and the linings are rounded like an E H Roth, not tapered.

VIO KNORR 12.JPG

VIO KNORR 9.JPG

VIO KNORR END PIN.JPG

Finally  it appraised. Made by Heirich T Heberlein Jr  in the white and sold to the Paul Knorr workshop who varnished it and shipped it to Moenig & Son circa 1920's. The appraiser has seen one other and recognized it immediately.  It appears that Knorr and Heberlein Jr corroberated on a few instruments.