Sign in to follow this  
puckfandan

Stolen from Hogwarts?

Recommended Posts

Recently acquired this beauty. Glenn is helping me try to figure out where this beauty came from. Will update when I have more information....any of you old timers have Prof. M?enard? :lol:

 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my!

Maybe it will clean up well.

It reminds me of dusty Victorian parlours,  purple turbans and lavender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an absolutely lovely old case for restoration.  The first initial doesn't match, but I wonder if this might have some tie to Pierre Menard.  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-08-09/news/9408090059_1_second-violinist-mr-menard-resident-quartet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good sleuthing!

The case looks older then that though...unless they just put the engraving on an antique...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been unable to find out much on his early history, but there seems to be a large and diverse Canadian family of that name that's been around for centuries, which is one of the problems in researching the case.  It might be a family heirloom originally.  It could also be a deliberately retro production that's sat neglected in an attic or barn in Maine for 30 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say, Puckfandan, the Pierre Menard I cited was a professor at Northern Illinois University, but died at his home in Warren, Maine in 1994.  Where'd you find the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenn seems to think J Jenard,  and I think we are both on the same page thinking early Victorian, and interior fabrics seem to support that. The original red from the early Victorian and the violet from later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, puckfandan said:

Glenn seems to think J Jenard,  and I think we are both on the same page thinking early Victorian, and interior fabrics seem to support that. The original red from the early Victorian and the violet from later.

OK.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found mention of a Joseph Jenard in Quebec around 1720...which is too early...

Not convinced that is a j and not an m. Looked at a bunch of old engraving fonts - J's seems to only ever have 2 down strokes. M's have 3. This example has 3...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, puckfandan said:

Found a signature under the replaced liner.

Geo B R*****?

image.jpeg

Just ran over my glasses this afternoon, but could that say "Geo B Reitz & Co"? There was a cabinetmaker "George Ballantyne Reitz and company" operating out of Sherbrooke, Quebec from circa 1840 to 1891 that's not TOO far on my side of the border from Maine. Might not be the maker, and might not be any help identifying the owner, but it's all I could find that may be pertinent and could fit the timeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LethbridgeViolins said:

Just ran over my glasses this afternoon, but could that say "Geo B Reitz & Co"? There was a cabinetmaker "George Ballantyne Reitz and company" operating out of Sherbrooke, Quebec from circa 1840 to 1891 that's not TOO far on my side of the border from Maine. Might not be the maker, and might not be any help identifying the owner, but it's all I could find that may be pertinent and could fit the timeline.

I think you hit the nail on the head! Underneath probably says "May ?,187(?)8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half of my mom's family still lives between Sherbrooke and Montréal, so I'll pester some cousins to check the archives for Bishop's University (founded 1843, Sherbrooke) and McGill University (founded 1821, Montréal) to see if they can find records for a Prof. M Ménard OR J Jénard. (Though they look like 'M's to me.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LethbridgeViolins said:

Half of my mom's family still lives between Sherbrooke and Montréal, so I'll pester some cousins to check the archives for Bishop's University (founded 1843, Sherbrooke) and McGill University (founded 1821, Montréal) to see if they can find records for a Prof. M Ménard OR J Jénard. (Though they look like 'M's to me.)

Thanks. This was found in the Boston area in the early 80's so I am reaching out to a couple people I know at Harvard. I am only an hour and a half from Sherbrooke. Love Montreal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Violadamore said:

That's an absolutely lovely old case for restoration.  The first initial doesn't match, but I wonder if this might have some tie to Pierre Menard.  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-08-09/news/9408090059_1_second-violinist-mr-menard-resident-quartet

M. Menard might have been the father or a relative of J. Menard making the beautiful case a family heirloom. BTW, those are M's, not J's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, puckfandan said:

Found this, his parents use the spelling "Menard" Maurice Menard would fit, age is probably correct. from Quebec and died outside of Boston.

image.png

I think you've got it! Waiting on my cousin to get a photocopy to me, but there was a Professor Maurice Ménard who retired from McGill University at age 60 in 1880, which lines up perfectly with this Maurice Ménard (Maynard) Jr's father. (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Menard-620).  Rouville's between Sherbrooke and Montréal, which lines up with the George B Reitz & Co theory, and if the scribbles under that are indeed "May ?? 1879", that would line up with this case being a retirement gift for M. Ménard Sr., possibly passed on to the son who took it to Massachusetts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of rude for a first post, but that initial letter is a G. Not an M or a J. 

And the "n" is actually a double "r"

Prof. G. Gerrard, whoever he was. 

 

Not good on violins... Playing or making, but used to transcribe and translate medieval scripts. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...I found a Mrs. G. Gerrard...but she is hale and hearty and teaches woodwind...

^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.