I know nothing about violins etc. Maybe that's why I find this kind of thing extraordinary.  It went or £6,500 (from an estimate of £10 - £20).

Maybe it sounded geat when played. Of course that is not reflected in the estimate.

One also wonders whether the auctioneers drop in one or two treasures, or potential treasures, with low estimates to get people excited. Although if that cello is a treasure, it was not obvious to me (not an expert) from the pics.

Nice cello - from the photos it looks something like Joseph Chanot.

Good cellos fetch high prices. It didn’t seem very expensive to me ...

3 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

I know nothing about violins etc. Maybe that's why I find this kind of thing extraordinary.  It went or £6,500 (from an estimate of £10 - £20).

He values everything at ten quid out of principle. He's mostly right

Your commission fee should be going towards ensuring a sale :)

The “Amati Affordable” auctions are a nice innovation, in which informed buyers are invited to decide what something is worth.

Not all auctions need to pander to snowflake musicians ...

what would you rather have, “6-8000 possibly Italian” or “10-20 a cello”?

sellers always push for a high estimate but that’s the kiss of death for a good sale price

so if it's a choice between having a public acknowledgement of how special your instrument is or getting the best price ... which would you choose?

Basically the buyer gets zero benefit from the auction house in this type of auction.  I do find that strange.  Fortunately it barely affects me as I only buy what I play and how it sounds is my only criteria.   Interesting nonetheless to have my last purchase valued at worthless by my highly respected luthier - I'd paid over £1000!

not sure if you are indignant on behalf of buyers or sellers?

On the other point, highly respected luthiers are almost always dealers, and they tend to get shirty when punters  buy at auction. Sometimes in this scenario the violin becomes much worse than it is. 

2 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

Interesting nonetheless to have my last purchase valued at worthless by my highly respected luthier - I'd paid over £1000!

About the same is complained so often here, if a highly appreciated instrument is identified as "the usual rubbish". Good to know that we're not alone.B)

38 minutes ago, martin swan said:

not sure if you are indignant on behalf of buyers or sellers?

Indignant's a bit strong but you do seem to be implying it's good that the auction house be biased towards one side of the transaction?  And surely in a sane world you'd want '6-8000 possibly Italian' as that seems to be the consensus.

11 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

You mean most lots are only worth £10 - £20?

They could be if no one bids on them above the £10.

I recently went to them and was told my violin was worth £1,500 but they would start it at £10 - and no reserve. I was obviously very reluctant to not have any reserve,but I was strongly urged that it WILL make the £1,500. Nevertheless, I left without consigning it.

47 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

Interesting.  Who does the £10 help then?  Seems it can put sellers off.  Did they not offer you a connoisseur's sale ?

Next time thet have a sale, have a look at the catalogue, all the violins start at £10. More often than not they will make the estimate,and often go on to make several thousand. It works on the principle of every one likes a bargain. And can you spot the sleeper ?

But like all auctions the buyer who gets a bargain can be ecstatic. But the poor seller is upset that the violin went for far below estimate. The winners are always the auction houses because they get the aucton entry fee whatever happens.