Rimino

F-HOLE TEMPLATE

I am trying to find the right material to make a f-hole template and the right thickness.  Does anyone have any ideas? (Does anyone know the right actual temperature to bend wooden purfling also?) Thanks 

I use clear plastic sheet .015 thick, which is around .4mm.  I get it from a local hobby/craft store.  It's hard to give an exact temperature, too hot and you can delaminate the purfling, too cold and you can snap the purfling.  Some woods bend easier than others.  Maybe someone else will chime in with better advice about the temp.

I usually draw them in freehand. Mark the terminal holes and draw them like the picture.  Yesterday I got the Gofriller belly down to 70g, and wanted to mark the f holes in.  I had made a paper template out for the back and belly straight off the photos,  and had the f holes drawn in too.  I checked the f holes of the photo to the drawing, and they were close, but the drawings were thicker.  Rubbings?  I re-drew the drawing f holes on the template, and then cut them out with scissors, and penciled them in.  Magic. Lopsided just like the original.  Cool.

I did clean up the lines some, and will have to look at is some more to tweak it.   I never knew that they were rubbings.  

Ken

20180306_090959.thumb.jpg.3297cfdaa63d7ddb33a721c9394b0a3e.jpg

Thanks everyone.  I will take your advice.  Really cool Gofriller violin belly Ken.  Looks strikingly realistic.

Thick-ish plastic sheeting is what I use too, although I never bought any.  I usually find mine in packaging windows, or (if you don't need clear) plastic notebook dividers.  Somehow I have accumulated a fair stock of various plastic sheeting.

Laser printer or inkjet transparency sheets works well; I think it's mylar. The good thing about it is you can print a 1:1 size F hole on the sheet, cut it out with an exacto blade knife, and your template is done.

For purfling, delamination at the ends is sometimes ok. Some schools actual use three totally separate strips when purfling and use a sort of compound miter in the corners. If yours comes apart a little while bending, try using it anyway before you throw it out. 

On 3/5/2018 at 10:10 PM, Nick Allen said:

Just a lil sheet of plastic from Blick art supply/Michael's does the trick. 

IMG_20180305_220944.jpg

IMG_20180305_221011.jpg

Thanks for posting this, I’m going to do this.