Sign in to follow this  
golash

DIY CNC for violinmaking

Awesome golash, keep us updated!

I have stl files of a violin that was used for a 3d printer, you might can convert them for CNC and use the top and bottom.

STL.zip

55 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Where is the dust collector system?

Why am I now getting ads from this CNC company?

:rolleyes:

None at the moment. Needs to be added. Not the best technique but I manually run the vac over the part.

3 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

It looks like a pretty rigid, solid frame. Did you do the walnut plate on that?

I had some extra cherry from a cabinet job. I was testing the G code. It took about 2 1/2 hours to run the part. The stopover was set to.006

I made a less sophisticated machine,  but it is reproducible to about .002-.004"   I have shown it on this forum a few times.   My main concern is the types of cutters used.  I made mine to cut curtate cycloids transversly with a modified cosine function as the longitudinal shape.   I found that round-end cutters compressed the wood,  and square end cutters left furrows such that I had to scrape about one half mm from the surface.

I have spreadsheets to calculate my G-code and I leave a flat margin raised from the deepest portion at the edge.  The edges and purfling are roughed on a separate machine I made.  

What sorts of cutters do you make/buy ?    Thanks

I see you have a 1-HP Baldor DC PM motor for your spindle... the same thing I have currently running my 24" bandsaw.  Times have changed a lot lately, so presumably today you'd just get a water-cooled 3-phase spindle and variable frequency drive, which are (relatively) dirt-cheap and readily available.  I'll be putting back my original 5HP 3-phase bandsaw motor and run it with VFD, if anyone wants to buy my 1HP Baldor.

Hi

I wanted a machine that would allow the machining of metals. So I used the Baldor DC motor. And machined a two step pulley. This gave me a good range of speeds for metals. By woodworking standards it's too slow. 5000 rpm.  The major plus is the spindle is so quiet. I had a router mounted as a spindle it was obnoxiously loud.

3 hours ago, Johnmasters said:

What sorts of cutters do you make/buy ?    Thanks

You might try onsrud cutters they are designed for woodworking. They are made with different relief angles then typical ball endmills made for the metalworking industry. Just buy high speed steel cutters instead of carbide. HSS holds a sharper edge then carbide. 

F545190F-6D1B-4AA8-8876-D7DCDF2A3418.jpeg

Many thanks "Golash."   I have looked around and asked one company who was not able to help me.   Could you please advise a company,  perhaps a link to a webpage.

I need a 1/4" shaft for the trim router I am using.   1/4" cutter diameter would be fine as I am just going to use it for a final cut.   Any advice on where to get what ??

I recently started to make violins for underprivilaged kids. It takes a long time. I am looking for ways to shorten the amount of time to make them.  Someone suggested looking into a CNC to cut down on the time that it takes. Another person told me that unless I was a programmer to forget the idea. 

Any suggestions???

keves@juno.com

On 9/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, Kev said:

I recently started to make violins for underprivilaged kids. It takes a long time. I am looking for ways to shorten the amount of time to make them.  Someone suggested looking into a CNC to cut down on the time that it takes. Another person told me that unless I was a programmer to forget the idea. 

Any suggestions???

keves@juno.com

Given cost of materials,  you would be ahead to buy white violins from China.  Then you have the fun of experimenting with varnishes. 

Yep. John is spot on. You have a couple of options - build your own CNC system or send your files to a fabrication service. the former is expensive unless you are doing vast quantities. As for the later, your per unit cost will be more than buying a white violin from China. 

I have a ten digit macro processor powered by two Mixing Mutiifocal IOLs produced by L. Manint by Caesarian Section. The duplication process is purposely inexact so that two seperate applications, though recognizable as coming from the motherboard, are none the less distinct, dependant on the temporal orientation of the processor. This gives the slightly uncomfortable effect sometimes known as artistic influence. These slight variations in X/Y coordinates produce an effect that is inexplicably pleasing to the ocular receptor of the observing unit stimulating payment. Although powered by caloric intake, a certain amount of C6H12O6 is needed on a nightly basis for lubrication, thereby providing income for more lubricant..