tchaikovsgay

Correct Way to Tilt the Bow

Hi. Recently I encountered a harmonics passage that requires tilting of the bow, but I don't which one of these is the smartest way (and easiest way to recover back to normal) to tilt:

1) Tilt by rotating the bow with fingers only (I tried but this causes thumb touching the bow hair, which is uncomfortable)

2) Tilt by bending the wrist only

3) Tilt by OPENING the right shoulder only

4) Tilt by RAISING the right shoulder only

or it's a combination of these?????

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

*P.S. I will be annoying you guys with my grauduation project surveys about violin postures soon :P

I'd avoid anything involving tension in the shoulder, especially raising... Not sure about 'opening'. My guess would be it's more of a combination of the first two, probably fingers mostly.

3 hours ago, tchaikovsgay said:

*P.S. I will be annoying you guys with my grauduation project surveys about violin postures soon :P

Are you planning to start a war?

13 hours ago, thirteenthsteph said:

I'd avoid anything involving tension in the shoulder, especially raising... Not sure about 'opening'. My guess would be it's more of a combination of the first two, probably fingers mostly.

I agree

My vote is fingers only.  If all else is good about bow hold this moderate rolling of the stick shouldn't be complicated, or force the thumb into the hair.  Moments of extremely rolling shouldn't be part of normal playing -- even for harmonics.  For short duration or generally rare special effects, who cares. Do whatever works in those moments.