Sign in to follow this  
arglebargle

Sandvik sandplate substitute

I've periodically asked about sources for this stuff, so heads up. It seems that Stewmac has started making it again. Here.

I got some, and although I haven't used it yet, it certainly seems like the real deal.

Have at it! 

4 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

Is this..or which of these products do you have on your shaped "sanding blocks" featured in your rib construction videos?

11 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

I've tried those and they just don't work for me like sandplate does. At least not the way I use it. I like that you can cut sandplate into shapes for specific tasks. 

8 hours ago, Michael Jennings said:

Is this..or which of these products do you have on your shaped "sanding blocks" featured in your rib construction videos?

Ribs construction? Maybe you mean Edge outline construction......

For those sanding block (edge making) I use original Sandvik sandplate (that I bought many years ago before they go out of production) for the coarse ones (the black ones).

I use NT Dresser for the fine ones (the silver ones).

NT Dresser medium grit is almost equivalemt to Sandvik but a little thicker so they may be a little tricky to bend for the curved sanding block.

Are these those you speak of?

5a96b26f10365_1-Specialtoolsrid.jpg.152fd89e7752bcca4a00f8096c7a91c8.jpg5a96b28088962_1bis-Specialtoolsrid.jpg.6f7f7ea53944013e95b6b6cc7685ba66.jpg

10 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I have some Sandplate, but I've never used it.  Could someone tell me where it is especially useful in violin work.

Hi Brad,

Davide's pictures are a good example of their uses.

Here are my tools:

P1010747.thumb.jpg.3e082df3014203f9dbe71a487fa0258b.jpgP1010744.thumb.jpg.04e08bb6eebbaa4c1fcb169c014e3908.jpg

Basically, anywhere that you use a file or rasp you can use sandplate. More aggressive than sandpaper, and it lasts for years. I've used one of these for well over 15 years, almost daily, and it is still going strong. It can obviously be bent and cut into many different shapes. Bridges, neck mortises, turning edges, whatever shape you can come up with.

Of course, if you don't want it, I'm happy to take it off your hands.;)

10 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I have some Sandplate, but I've never used it.  Could someone tell me where it is especially useful in violin work.

2 hours ago, arglebargle said:

I've tried those and they just don't work for me like sandplate does. At least not the way I use it. I like that you can cut sandplate into shapes for specific tasks. 

I use them for making various sanding block and "sandpaper" files (neck setting, edge working, scroll working etc.), they are a good and cheap alternative to files fine cut rasps, have the advantage to be shaped in all forms you need and like sandpaper their cutting action is omnidirectional.

Another advantage is that they cut on one side only, one thing that usually rasps and files do not do and with regard to sandpaper they last longer (forever?) while sandpaper worn out quickly and annoingly.

Of course good fine handmade rasps are excellent (I have many) and irreplaceable for some cases but enormously more expensive and not so ductile with regard to available shapes

unless you orders them custom-made (possible but veeeery expensive....).

Medium grit Original Sandvik Sandplate are thinner than the corresponding NT Dresser grit so they are easy to bend around tighter curve of a curved sanding block, I never tried medium grit NT Dresser for this task so I cannot say if it is possible, but I think so.

Even Sandplate do not really bend and keep their springiness and must be glued firmly to keep it folded.

Having said that, they are not necessary at all, Stradivari did not use them and was very good at working......:)
5a96bed6e95b9_attrezziincastroritrid.jpg.adb4557e4a5ab3777e41bbc645244582.jpgDSC_9932.thumb.JPG.400f0f001deb9c99efc8d6841d1794d4.JPGDSC_9927.thumb.JPG.498194559abf70c0a2eb8789807d0160.JPGDSC_9929.thumb.JPG.5aa6d374616fe77b7f0d3255f6a14130.JPG

1 hour ago, Davide Sora said:

Ribs construction? Maybe you mean Edge outline construction......

For those sanding block (edge making) I use original Sandvik sandplate (that I bought many years ago before they go out of production) for the coarse ones (the black ones).

I use NT Dresser for the fine ones (the silver ones).

NT Dresser medium grit is almost equivalemt to Sandvik but a little thicker so they may be a little tricky to bend for the curved sanding block.

Are these those you speak of?

5a96b26f10365_1-Specialtoolsrid.jpg.152fd89e7752bcca4a00f8096c7a91c8.jpg5a96b28088962_1bis-Specialtoolsrid.jpg.6f7f7ea53944013e95b6b6cc7685ba66.jpg

Thanks Davide, yes those are the tools I was asking about.

So, how is the StewMac product? I ordered it already, and the NT Dresser stuff, but I am curious for an update on the "new" sandplate substitute before I put them in his stocking. 

Also, can I just say: how about those Cremona Tools EU to US shipping rates being €30 for a package well under one kg, probably under 8 oz.? Dieter Schmid is the same way, though their prices are a bit cheaper. I didn't find the NT "paper" in the U.S. at all. Language and more language.

7 hours ago, not telling said:

So, how is the StewMac product? I ordered it already, and the NT Dresser stuff, but I am curious for an update on the "new" sandplate substitute before I put them in his stocking. 

Also, can I just say: how about those Cremona Tools EU to US shipping rates being €30 for a package well under one kg, probably under 8 oz.? Dieter Schmid is the same way, though their prices are a bit cheaper. I didn't find the NT "paper" in the U.S. at all. Language and more language.

The NT dresser stuff is pretty excellent, i built a few sanding devices after Davide's models he posted on this thread. I would say that these tools are on my top 10 list of tools.

I found the NT dresser useful too.  It's not cheap so I use double-sided tape and switch it between backing  blocks.  It's surprising how well it cuts given that it feels so fine under the fingers.

8 hours ago, not telling said:

I would love to do more (read as "any") business with Cremona Tools but their shipping is astronomical.  So...I don't buy anything from them.  Too bad because they have some great stuff.

Yup. Axminster has the very best deal on shipping, plus their hard NT plates are on sale. Cremona Tools is charging almost triple the price for the cuttable NT sheets (€10.69 vs $5.99) and there's the shipping from Italy. Disappointing, because I would want to support a very specialized store otherwise. But, I didn't know about Axminster before this thread and it is great. So thanks to Davide for the info...and thanks to Davide also for the video wherein we can see the product(s) in action.

2 hours ago, not telling said:

Yup. Axminster has the very best deal on shipping, plus their hard NT plates are on sale. Cremona Tools is charging almost triple the price for the cuttable NT sheets (€10.69 vs $5.99) and there's the shipping from Italy. Disappointing, because I would want to support a very specialized store otherwise. But, I didn't know about Axminster before this thread and it is great. So thanks to Davide for the info...and thanks to Davide also for the video wherein we can see the product(s) in action.

Axminster, the source of much evil temptation.  Also, they are super-efficient so even with standard delivery the stuff often arrives the next day.  Which reminds me........

On 2/28/2018 at 3:43 PM, Davide Sora said:

I use them for making various sanding block and "sandpaper" files (neck setting, edge working, scroll working etc.), they are a good and cheap alternative to files fine cut rasps, have the advantage to be shaped in all forms you need and like sandpaper their cutting action is omnidirectional.

Another advantage is that they cut on one side only, one thing that usually rasps and files do not do and with regard to sandpaper they last longer (forever?) while sandpaper worn out quickly and annoingly.

Of course good fine handmade rasps are excellent (I have many) and irreplaceable for some cases but enormously more expensive and not so ductile with regard to available shapes

unless you orders them custom-made (possible but veeeery expensive....).

Medium grit Original Sandvik Sandplate are thinner than the corresponding NT Dresser grit so they are easy to bend around tighter curve of a curved sanding block, I never tried medium grit NT Dresser for this task so I cannot say if it is possible, but I think so.

Even Sandplate do not really bend and keep their springiness and must be glued firmly to keep it folded.

Having said that, they are not necessary at all, Stradivari did not use them and was very good at working......:)
5a96bed6e95b9_attrezziincastroritrid.jpg.adb4557e4a5ab3777e41bbc645244582.jpgDSC_9932.thumb.JPG.400f0f001deb9c99efc8d6841d1794d4.JPGDSC_9927.thumb.JPG.498194559abf70c0a2eb8789807d0160.JPGDSC_9929.thumb.JPG.5aa6d374616fe77b7f0d3255f6a14130.JPG

Hello. Can i buy the sandvik sandplate 4125160? Please Contact me: manzone@hotmail.de 

Thanks. Lena Häusler

I found several unopened packs of Sandvik ”sandplate”, and have been comparing it to modern options.

Stew-Mac released something called “shark skin” in 2018. Seems a bit pricey but looks decent. they have a nice YouTube video about it.

My favorite has been “Perma-Grit” sold by MicroMark. (and upon research it’s sold by many places including eBay) It’s very similar to ”sandplate” but made with tungsten carbide Abrasive. and I really like it a lot. microMark has it in varying sizes and options on their webpage. It’s pretty cheap and it’s great. 

You will find several YouTube videos regarding permagrit tools, adhesive backed sheets, and varius uses. They even make rotary attachments! 

Theres a very helpful video about cleaning tgw permagrit to make it like new. I’ve had wood glue, epoxy, and various clogs on my permagrit. Soaked in lacquer thinner overnight… And it’s like brand new!

It’s made by brazing tungsten carbide shards onto the substrate. Much different than the other brands. Who use perforations or textured sheet.

I highly suggest if you don’t receive the free catalog from microMark… Go to their website RIGHT NOW!!! And request one. You’ll get one every month or so… You will find  COUNTLESS SOLUTIONS  to problems you weren’t aware of! I   constantly discover products and ideas that solve big problems in my shop.

Most of the time, I don’t order from them  because the price can be high. But I see a solution or product, and source it from somewhere cheaper or make it myself.
I must have two dozen items that are constantly used. All products seem in their catalog, and sourced elsewhere, or made myself. From workshop organization to work holding solutions. Truly a wonderful resource.

They are one of the biggest suppliers for model makers, hobbyist, and all types of Hollywood professionals… who are involved in the prop making and special-effects industry. it’s a catalog catered to that industry, and meant to solve mystery problems, that arise in the movie making industry.

Truly the coolest catalog I receive! 

I am sorry to ramble. Hope someone finds this useful.

13 hours ago, HullGuitars said:

I found several unopened packs of Sandvik ”sandplate”, and have been comparing it to modern options.

Stew-Mac released something called “shark skin” in 2018. Seems a bit pricey but looks decent. they have a nice YouTube video about it.

My favorite has been “Perma-Grit” sold by MicroMark. (and upon research it’s sold by many places including eBay) It’s very similar to ”sandplate” but made with tungsten carbide Abrasive. and I really like it a lot. microMark has it in varying sizes and options on their webpage. It’s pretty cheap and it’s great. 

You will find several YouTube videos regarding permagrit tools, adhesive backed sheets, and varius uses. They even make rotary attachments! 

Theres a very helpful video about cleaning tgw permagrit to make it like new. I’ve had wood glue, epoxy, and various clogs on my permagrit. Soaked in lacquer thinner overnight… And it’s like brand new!

It’s made by brazing tungsten carbide shards onto the substrate. Much different than the other brands. Who use perforations or textured sheet.

I highly suggest if you don’t receive the free catalog from microMark… Go to their website RIGHT NOW!!! And request one. You’ll get one every month or so… You will find  COUNTLESS SOLUTIONS  to problems you weren’t aware of! I   constantly discover products and ideas that solve big problems in my shop.

Most of the time, I don’t order from them  because the price can be high. But I see a solution or product, and source it from somewhere cheaper or make it myself.
I must have two dozen items that are constantly used. All products seem in their catalog, and sourced elsewhere, or made myself. From workshop organization to work holding solutions. Truly a wonderful resource.

They are one of the biggest suppliers for model makers, hobbyist, and all types of Hollywood professionals… who are involved in the prop making and special-effects industry. it’s a catalog catered to that industry, and meant to solve mystery problems, that arise in the movie making industry.

Truly the coolest catalog I receive! 

I am sorry to ramble. Hope someone finds this useful.

Agreed.  Browsing their catalog usually ends up with me ordering something I didn't know existed.  We have a lot in common with model makers.  My last find (I use a decent amount) was a small "forked" glue applicator (CA), for tiny disbursements.

I have a small wood block with a U shaped channel that has a piece of sandvik plate epoxied into the channel conforming to the U shape. My mentor made it back in the 1980s for rounding the plate edges in a uniform manner as part of the finishing stage.

I still use the same tool today, and still cuts well, probably as well as when new.

I made a few copies of it using cloth backed emery, but it tends to clog after awhile.

On 2/27/2018 at 3:47 PM, arglebargle said:

I've periodically asked about sources for this stuff, so heads up. It seems that Stewmac has started making it again. Here.

I got some, and although I haven't used it yet, it certainly seems like the real deal.

Have at it! 

$10 shipping for two pads! Rip-off.

Yes, the shipping is ridiculous!

I bought 2 pieces.  Tried it out and sent it right back.  Felt dull and didn't cut well.  Too stiff to bend easily. So I wasted the $9.99 shipping plus paid to ship it back.

NT dresser material is very good.

The best stuff I found is Atoma.  VERY good material.  Very expensive.  Amazon has it mounted on aluminum plates to be used as flatening/sharpenin plates. 

https://www.amazon.com/Atoma-Diamond-Sharpener-Coarse-Grade-#140/dp/B00BN32EXY/ref=pd_sbs_79_t_0/131-3128319-3385214?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BN32EXY&pd_rd_r=e481fa0d-570e-46c9-b2de-3d5f1b44bd2f&pd_rd_w=0Hmy7&pd_rd_wg=RmZF9&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=YFG0DM7FEKWR3CY78PNZ&psc=1&refRID=YFG0DM7FEKWR3CY78PNZ

I have some of those.  But you can also buy the film which is PSA backed and it is very flexible.  I put it on a piece of 1" PVC pipe to use for truing up the curves into the corners of my plates.  So it would work well in the application that David Sora uses his Sandvik for. The 140 grit is very good for this application.

I order it from a tool dealer in Japan.  If your interested in his contact. PM me and I will give you his email.

Dorian