Sign in to follow this  
jacobsaunders

5 String small Widhalm viola

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, jacobsaunders said:

At some stage I will have to open the belly to see too some belly cracks, and cracks in the lower ribs, and could perhaps post additional pictures, but for now, the violin will have to queue up and wait it’s turn.

The long promised label/stamp picture.

One could point out that this is what a 200 year old label looks like. Cleanly snipped out, no ragged edges etc. no glue splashed around, no curious stained colour, a dot on the one (i.e.”i” rather than “1”)

IMG_1420.jpg

On 2/27/2018 at 3:20 PM, deans said:

I think you did misinterpret Don's comment. But I understand your point about viola sizes. I don't know how many times I've been snickered at walking into a shop looking for a 17.5" viola, unless of course they have one, then I'm a man of great taste.

I assume this will be set up as a 4 string, I'm sure somebody will be extremely happy with it. I would, even though its small. I remember a Widhalm viola at a Skinner auction once, I think around 15.5" it was very nice, but I didn't have the courage....

A friend owns a Boussu viola that is every bit of 17 inches. It’s ENORMOUS.

Do you really want a 17 1/2 inch viola? Are you Paul Silverthorne?

11 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Do you really want a 17 1/2 inch viola? Are you Paul Silverthorne?

I've got a couple, but am always on the lookout for a nicer one. Unfortunately it will probably never be of the same caliber as Mr. Silverthorne's.

25 minutes ago, deans said:

I've got a couple, but am always on the lookout for a nicer one. Unfortunately it will probably never be of the same caliber as Mr. Silverthorne's.

We played the Walton with him a few years back, and I was struck by how huge his viola was. During intermission I went up to him and asked,” is your viola a 17 inch?”

He smiled and replied, “… Ahnd Three qwahters!”

That is one large piece of machinery.  It is a brothers Amati, and I often wondered whether it was a cut down larger instrument. 

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, jacobsaunders said:

One could point out that this is what a 200 year old label looks like

Very good, indeed! Hope to see more...