Felefar

What I found inside my viola this morning

Recommended Posts

Armed with a new and fresh endoscope I delved into the family’s assorted instruments to see what they looked like inside. Most of the time I don’t really know what I am looking at or for, but this one was a surprise:

 

 

Snapshot000034.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it does say H Schicker Freiburg. I assume it slipped into an f-hole some time after 1954 (last repair label), slid along the rib and got stuck in the lower bout where both plates seem to bend IN a little bit. Anyway it doesn’t rattle or move at all.

Hm - the endoscope came with an assortment of hooks and gadgets, I might see if I can convince it to come out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Felefar said:

Yes, it does say H Schicker Freiburg. I assume it slipped into an f-hole some time after 1954 (last repair label), slid along the rib and got stuck in the lower bout where both plates seem to bend IN a little bit. Anyway it doesn’t rattle or move at all.

Hm - the endoscope came with an assortment of hooks and gadgets, I might see if I can convince it to come out?

Maybe it was put in  on purpose to provide support for sagging plates.  After all, if a bridge can withstand the stress of strings......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many repairs on that viola that I doubt that a little bridge would make a difference. I am beginning to wonder if the date on the old re-located lanel might be real after all, it certainly looks like three and a half centuries of use and repairs!

l81534top.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Suddenly one day the viola rattled. I fixed a hook attachment to the endoscope and fished the bridge out - and put it on instead of the «found an old one in a drawer» which was there before. The Schicker bridge was a much better fit, and the viola sounds impressively well for such a small instrument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Felefar said:

The Schicker bridge was a much better fit, and the viola sounds impressively well for such a small instrument.

Some wise player put it there for safekeeping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some player wrote me about an origami folded paper bird which had been found inside an instrument I'd made. He or she was the first owner, so it probably went out that way. Lots of jokes were played in the various shops I've worked in. My best guess is that this particular high crime would be attributable to Wendy, around 1985, who worked in the business and was highly into origami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Some player wrote me about an origami folded paper bird which had been found inside an instrument I'd made. He or she was the first owner, so it probably went out that way. Lots of jokes were played in the various shops I've worked in. My best guess is that this particular high crime would be attributable to Wendy, around 1985, who worked in the business and was highly into origami.

This story should go into the collection of notable anecdotes! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.