Maestronet Forums

Violin ID Help

shunkpenn

1 hour ago, Addie said:

Perhaps Jacob will disagree with me, but I determine the quality of these  easily by the degree of flaming on the ribs, and especially of the neck, if original.  That's for these c.1880-1910-ish Mark-Schön violins.

The fiddle in general has very nice flaming.  Here are a few better photos.  Thanks for the input. 

00CE7643-4CC5-4C82-BB98-2F9D8D88BC2A.jpeg

A0FA6FC2-2A27-48CA-B270-8540A7200F30.jpeg

image.jpg

11 hours ago, Addie said:

Perhaps Jacob will disagree with me, but I determine the quality of these  easily by the degree of flaming on the ribs, and especially of the neck, if original.  That's for these c.1880-1910-ish Mark-Schön violins.

I do not neccesarily, out of principal always disagree with everybody. One should remember that there were Dutzendware at various price points. It isn’t much different today. I remember being at a trade fair, and being surprised by a whole choir of Paesold celli standing to attention. They too represented a wide range of prices, and the only obvious difference I could see at a superficial look, was how stripey the wood was.

It is interesting too...what information on what product is easy to find, and what isn't.

For example, I can't seem to find any information on my good bow, purchased while on vacation in Heidelberg.  But this company also makes cheap student bows.  I can find them on-line without a problem.  Now why would this company not want the consumer to know that they manufacture a range of bows?  I'm also not planning to sell mine, but should I ever want to, and ask a reasonable price, I'm pretty sure anyone who looks it all up on-line will assume it's an inexpensive bow and think I'm ripping them off.

Or...I was ripped off to begin with...^_^  

21 hours ago, shunkpenn said:

little wide on the top plate

I think there's a lot of mythology around grain width. Looks like a nice clean example, good condition good neck set, neck dimension look OK from the pics. Based on the pics on my screen I would not completely rule out Caussin school, but Jacob's probably right.

1 hour ago, deans said:

I think there's a lot of mythology around grain width. Looks like a nice clean example, good condition good neck set, neck dimension look OK from the pics. Based on the pics on my screen I would not completely rule out Caussin school, but Jacob's probably right.

It’s difficult to get a good shot of the inside.... however the workmanship looks pretty clean. I know it’s tough to tell from these photo.  It looks like corner blocks in the upper bout as well.  

C3D0CED0-39C0-439F-9EBF-B36B87B59FE3.jpeg

685091AF-B7EE-4DCE-9AFD-0AC6CD3E15F7.jpeg

10 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I do not neccesarily, out of principal always disagree with everybody. One should remember that there were Dutzendware at various price points. It isn’t much different today. I remember being at a trade fair, and being surprised by a whole choir of Paesold celli standing to attention. They too represented a wide range of prices, and the only obvious difference I could see at a superficial look, was how stripey the wood was.

Jacob

Speaking of “stripey”  Markys...here is a nice one I love to play...

E8B9FB34-497D-459D-8DDD-525630F121CA.jpeg

18493FEA-4520-4FF2-A6EA-DCAF6F3C7C29.jpeg

937A098E-3359-438B-BFDB-3BA873EEF441.jpeg

B56E302B-D24E-4358-A5CA-109AD835DE60.png

38C8CAFE-C4AC-481E-890A-6E4127AD9708.png

D1885103-327F-47E6-ABC1-4959994B44AA.png

On 22/02/2018 at 11:00 AM, jacobsaunders said:

Seriously, flamed ribs and back are more a matter of Interior Decorating than of the quality of the instrument, isn't it? 

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Rue said:

It is interesting too...what information on what product is easy to find, and what isn't.

For example, I can't seem to find any information on my good bow, purchased while on vacation in Heidelberg.  But this company also makes cheap student bows.  I can find them on-line without a problem.  Now why would this company not want the consumer to know that they manufacture a range of bows?  I'm also not planning to sell mine, but should I ever want to, and ask a reasonable price, I'm pretty sure anyone who looks it all up on-line will assume it's an inexpensive bow and think I'm ripping them off.

Or...I was ripped off to begin with...^_^  

Because they are made in China? But then so what? You found a bow you liked. The price is very arbitrary in my opinion. People pay what they want to pay for a bow based on their own romantic fantasy. Mine is to find the best bow for the lowest price, other people obviously want to pay a fantastic sum.

And wood is graded for looks, not for tone quality.