DoorMouse

J.DiLisio's Bench

Looks really nice. Your varnishing skills are amazing. 

I only have one criticism. The outline doesn't really read Bergonzi, if it's Carlo that you're going for. 

4 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I would not have noticed the Bergonzi purfling miters w/o you telling me about them.  They look like they belong, nice work.  I'm playing the tail cord dance now with the viola.  I'll bring it by when I'm home long enough to finish the setup.

-Jim

Thanks Jim!  I'm looking forward to it. 

2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Looks really nice. Your varnishing skills are amazing. 

I only have one criticism. The outline doesn't really read Bergonzi, if it's Carlo that you're going for. 

Thanks Nick, the varnish on this one was actually a real struggle. 
I think what happened is that I burned off the mastic while heating it up and this caused it to be extra tacky and pilly. 
Honestly, it was such a mess that if I had been trying for a straight varnish I would have had to strip it and start over. 

Here's a side by side with the instrument I was working from. 
The corners definitely got elongated in the translation.  
The thing that strikes me the most about Bergonzi outlines is that the figure of 8 shape gets interrupted in the upper corners. 
The upper bout feels wide and helmet-like which makes the waist feel more narrow. 

Screen_Shot_2019-02-08_at_10_01.04_PM.thumb.png.97ef2df7f45ab0e53a22fb3306f38b9b.png

9 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

Thanks Nick, the varnish on this one was actually a real struggle. 
I think what happened is that I burned off the mastic while heating it up and this caused it to be extra tacky and pilly. 
Honestly, it was such a mess that if I had been trying for a straight varnish I would have had to strip it and start over. 

Here's a side by side with the instrument I was working from. 
The corners definitely got elongated in the translation.  
The thing that strikes me the most about Bergonzi outlines is that the figure of 8 shape gets interrupted in the upper corners. 
The upper bout feels wide and helmet-like which makes the waist feel more narrow. 

Screen_Shot_2019-02-08_at_10_01.04_PM.thumb.png.97ef2df7f45ab0e53a22fb3306f38b9b.png

Huh. Well that looks spot on actually.  Doesn't look like his normal work, though. 

I’ve been working on a Strad model for a few weeks.  The red maple I’m using seems to be pretty dense stuff. I’m having trouble getting the weight down without lowering the tap tones too much.  As with the last one, I’m planning on stringing it up in the white and making further adjustments.

D9C1DD0B-BD18-4CA0-BFBF-32A4EC2C8869.thumb.jpeg.0be90569708bf167442f82de98280795.jpeg22B2BDDC-F3C5-4C9F-9512-82F2DE2527D8.thumb.jpeg.a589b299e4b62c4edc89c21ae38e7bde.jpeg5A37D3CD-D5C0-47AE-BC69-B42ABF6EDA89.thumb.jpeg.7d748a1264fe7a70f42fc0b3d313a592.jpeg

I just cooked up a fresh batch of varnish today and made a point to mix in the oil at as low a temperature as possible.  So far I’m happy with the color and consistency.  We’ll see if it dries in a reasonable amount of time..

95D03F32-87AD-4F2E-9962-0E532A0F9CF8.thumb.jpeg.55334c2742a2af4326e0d08c06899d1d.jpeg