Maestronet Forums

J.DiLisio's Bench

J.DiLisio

Thanks Thomas, it’s really been fun to play on. I’m looking forward to seeing if I can replicate the tonal success with thick plates next rime round.

i just strung up the viola I’ve been working on. It’s a hybrid of sorts but mostly a Girolamo Amati with baroque setup.  I left a few areas on the thicker side for adjustment but it already has a deep loud sound. 

BC46526D-8BAE-487B-AFE4-4FF9A69C4CD0.thumb.jpeg.67a20fa26a2b99b4b2ac5e00e77eb16c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just getting started planning out an Andrea Amati model and when comparing outlines I found the 1570 Metropolitan lines up pretty well with the DG Cannone mould I made for the last violin.  The end blocks will need to be extended a few mm and the corners are different shapes but other than that the similarity is striking. 
259703456_ScreenShot2020-12-02at2_48_05PM.thumb.png.ffc87f5812e1d7fd8e5276b359c736ad.png

• 4 months later...

My first fiddle of 2021 slowly coming together..

5359F834-B9D9-492E-B417-755FC4CC938C.thumb.jpeg.4e5469ff71db02a92090e11f82c5b627.jpeg

This is the most deeply figured wood I’ve worked with so far and it’s a real pain to carve.  I ended up having to finish the back with scrapers, something I’ve been avoiding on the last couple. 
It’s another thick del Gesu model, 7mm at it’s thickest.

Another woodworking project I’ve been obsessing over is a walnut plinth for my recently acquired vintage turntable.. 

A57625A9-7A4B-4E2B-B0DB-EDBF547D41E2.thumb.jpeg.daa0e4ae3f48027ed91c2ea1fd727dcc.jpeg

Unlike an instrument, the aim is to go as heavy as possible and to kill resonances so this one has stacked plywood on the inside and solid walnut outside. It’s around 30lbs.

I am impressed with your nailing skills - and your violin and turntable of course! The first violin I started is still unmade as I have the desire to try to forge my own nails and I have some bits of scrap wrought/puddled iron to use for this but when I tried a couple of years ago my 'forge' made from an old biscuit tin and charcoal was not up to the job of getting the largeish bits of metal hot enough. I am going to get a bigger biscuit tin and some forging coke. But if I fail, proper wrought iron nails can be got here  https://www.realwroughtiron.com/  (At least they used to make them? I used one to nail and glue the neck on a lute a few years ago.)

Happy Easter! 

Wow, I hadn't even considered the possibility of making nails.  I was looking into getting some handmade nails a while back and I wasn't able to find any that were the same shape as the nails from Cremonese necks.  I ended up just getting a box of 1" cast replicas from Rockler.. https://www.rockler.com/wrought-head-nails-wrought-head-nails?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=CjwKCAjwx6WDBhBQEiwA_dP8rbYpdTmCNabP86p-iSGg_eHUcWpALmZAKrSEv0pfHVwF-Ab08mtFtBoCBhEQAvD_BwE               

They're cheap and look authentic enough through the endpin hole.. at least it's an improvement over the drywall screw I used on the first one. 

I'm guessing with the long slender nails you see on Strads you might not need to pre-drill at all but it's definitely necessary with the square shafts.  I use two bit sizes so there's no chance of splitting. 

9 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Love seeing your baroque fiddles!  Do you get nails from Lee Valley?  What is that odd thing in the last photo?  Is it what they used to make those ancient CD things? :D

It's really just a motorized lazy susan at the moment.  One day I hope to add an arm so it can make some noise. 

56645227-FBF1-49B8-81F2-19428A1BE43D.thumb.jpeg.7a1e30ee1eec986c3c32e34c87d499f4.jpeg

These are half-templates I copied from Roger Hargrave’s article in the DG book back when I had access to a laser cutter.  They’re pretty universal, I just keep track of the distance from the edge that matches the arching I’m copying.  In the case of the Cannone arching they are consistent. 

• 1 month later...

I had a surprise guest show up while carving out ff’s on the porch today.

2B434025-D2B4-488E-8C67-4E06A4A2D541.thumb.jpeg.93fc116c985176787f56689493febaed.jpeg

For those unfamiliar, this is a cicada that appears every 17 years on the east coast of the US.  They aerate the lawn, make a lot of noise, and provide a tasty feast for the local wildlife. 

3 minutes ago, J.DiLisio said:

I actually fried a few up this past week and they tasted just like peanuts.  Not bad at all really. 

You are making me hungry now ha ha.

Also nice violin work :wub:

16 hours ago, J.DiLisio said:

2B434025-D2B4-488E-8C67-4E06A4A2D541.thumb.jpeg.93fc116c985176787f56689493febaed.jpeg

For those unfamiliar, this is a cicada that appears every 17 years on the east coast of the US.  They aerate the lawn, make a lot of noise, and provide a tasty feast for the local wildlife. 

17 years is a looooong time! Looks an amazing critter, and quite big :unsure:
Nice violin too :)

22 hours ago, J.DiLisio said:

Looks pretty similar to the cicadas in Japan, only that we see them every year. Their 'singing' always marks the height of summer heat and when they disappear its a sign that the most extreme temperatures are over. 

• 1 month later...