Sign in to follow this  
Roger Hargrave

Guns and violin making

35 minutes ago, Delabo said:

The majority of those quotes are from the 18th century.

Sort of clashes with the rallying cry we hear today that "after all this is the 21st century"".

The implication being that the ways and morals of former times are past there sell by date.

Except,of course, when it comes to old golden period violins. :)

If you had actually taken time to read them you would see that they pertain today just as much as they did when they were written. 

24 minutes ago, Roger Hargrave said:

The problem is that guns can also be purchased in supermarket in the US. And I fail to see how so many of you are making light of this. I only hope that none of your kids are ever killed by a gun legal or otherwise.  

Me too!

Humor is considered to be one of many valuable tools in the tragedy-recovery process.

I don't ever recall seeing guns for sale in a "supermarket", but maybe that term is used differently there than it is here.

3 minutes ago, Addie said:

How many gun owning violin makers have teenagers?  Worry for them.

Absolutely. FEWER GUNS = FEWER KILLED. No debate over this.

1 minute ago, Addie said:

How many gun owning violin makers have teenagers?  Worry for them.

You know...leaving keys in an unlocked car opens the car owner to liability..... as does an a construction site with no fence, called collectively “attractive nuisance laws....Seems like gun owners get a free pass, If someone steels my gun and commits a crime, then following the norm I should carry some responsibility, that’s why ammo is locked up , bolt gets pulled a stored separately and gun rests in a locked safe, all in hidden location known only by me.

In the opioid epidemic they talk about limiting access.  In the mass shooting epidemic they talk about not talking yet out of respect, and of arming more people.

9 minutes ago, puckfandan said:

If you had actually taken time to read them you would see that they pertain today just as much as they did when they were written. 

As an Englishman who was raised in a country where even the police did not carry weapons other than a truncheon, it is pretty much impossible for me to understand the culture you were raised in.

Suffice it to say,I had read some of the quotes,which were written at a time of great unrest on the American continent,and hardly pertain to the times we now live in.

The summation of the quotes seem to amount to the idea of "freedom".

35 minutes ago, Fiddler45 said:
2 hours ago, jezzupe said:

well the sad thing about the UK for example, is that even after banning guns, barring 2010 the murder rate never went below 1996 's murder rate when guns were still available. Or simply, banning guns is nice, as a gun is a quick easy way to kill someone, but as the problem lies much, much deeper than the preferd tool for murder, as we "the silly monkeys" will just find another way with another tool

Jezzupe i may be misunderstanding your comment but guns are not banned in the UK (Scotland is stricter i believe even on air weapons) ,you get a firearms license which are strictly controlled and you have to be a member of a gun club . .Also shooting is only allowed on ranges or private land. If you carried a gun around in the open you would more than likely be shot by a police firearms officer before you knew what was happening..

8 minutes ago, James M. Jones said:

You know...leaving keys in an unlocked car opens the car owner to liability..... as does an a construction site with no fence, called collectively “attractive nuisance laws....Seems like gun owners get a free pass,

Actually, many states to have penalties for unsafe storage of firearms. Florida and Texas among others, off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, puckfandan said:

Our founding fathers were a lot smarter than we were. I think many do not understand why our constitution is written the way it is, and why the govt will never round up the firearms.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/gun-quotations-founding-fathers

We may be a new country compared to many, but we have one of the oldest running governments, so it seems to work. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_date_of_formation

Bunch of quotes by rich white male racists hell bent on anialating natives and exersizing manifest destiny....the old nut “might makes right” .... wonder how Gandhi liberated India with nothing but a spinning wheel and a whole bunch of people? To starve the beast is our goal. 

Boy, I sure hope this shit gets shut down soon before ignorant-ass people ruin this forum.

Why in God's name does every aspect of life have to become political.

This is, and I hope will continue to be, a place where I don't have to be subjected to peoples political opinions.

What a shame.

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

As an Englishman who was raised in a country where even the police did not carry weapons other than a truncheon, it is pretty much impossible for me to understand the culture you were raised in.

Suffice it to say,I had read some of the quotes,which were written at a time of great unrest on the American continent,and hardly pertain to the times we now live in.

A good part of the original legislative intent had to with the notion of being able to resist a government or military (including ones own) which had become overbearing, corrupt, or imposed its will on the people without their consent. (America had recently had an issue with that when the constitution was approved.) Part of the reason the Americans prevailed in that war were the skillsets already possessed by gun owners and users (and some of the battle techniques learned from Native Americans) .

It's hard to know how much that applies any more, with the weapons civilians are allowed to own being a such a poor match for what the military possesses. But maybe with 90% of the population armed, it's at least enough to make the government or the military think twice before trying it? I don't really know.

Preamble

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

9 hours ago, Roger Hargrave said:

No-one needs automatic weapons of any description, certainly not for hunting or protection. Make no mistake, by purchasing and owning such weapons you make yourselves culpable whenever such senseless acts of gun violence break out.

No one "needs" a violin, wife, home ownership, or Bremen, Germany.  Fortunately we aren't restricted to what we need.

Automatic weapons are heavily restricted.  Go to jail for a long time and fast if you own one illegally.  The issue really,  the AR-15, meaning rifle that isn't an antique, that world is exactly as misunderstood as the violin world.

The media, after inundating us with violent music, images, and generation after generation after generation of sexy carnage in films and TV,  blames the gun to conceal their guilt.  That is the definition of evil.

For more perspective, over 60,000 kids die annually in the U.S. from drug overdoses.  That many people actually, most you could probably call kids.

targets.jpeg

17 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

Boy, I sure hope this shit gets shut down soon before ignorant-ass people ruin this forum.

This is, and I hope will continue to be, a place where I don't have to be subjected to peoples political opinions.

What a shame.

`ignorant ass` people , why because people are making a comment of their views only one or two have mentioned politics.  The real problem is `deliquency of human nature`.

47 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Actually, many states to have penalties for unsafe storage of firearms. Florida and Texas among others, off the top of my head.

Good to hear, lots going on here.... I never hear of prosecutions .

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Me too!

Humor is considered to be one of many valuable tools in the tragedy-recovery process.

I don't ever recall seeing guns for sale in a "supermarket", but maybe that term is used differently there than it is here.

Wallmart is a supermarket and I've seen them for sale in Walmart. But that was a couple of years ago so maybe they've stopped.

39 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

What a shame.

Everything is political my friend.

4 minutes ago, Roger Hargrave said:

Wallmart is a supermarket and I've seen them for sale in Walmart. But that was a couple of years ago so maybe they've stopped.

No, they haven't "stopped".  You're a good violin maker and a good resource but you have no idea what you're talking about for the time being...

2 minutes ago, Roger Hargrave said:

A supermarket, over here, is largely thought of as primarily a grocery store. None of the grocery stores I frequent sell guns.

Wallmart may be selling groceries now. I don't know, it's been a while since I have visited one.

Just now, David Burgess said:

A supermarket, over here, is largely thought of as primarily a grocery store. None of the grocery stores I frequent sell guns.

Wallmart may be selling groceries now. I don't know, it's been a while since I have visited one.

Pure semantics David.

3 minutes ago, Roger Hargrave said:

Everything is political my friend.

How about basic statistics?

90% of Americans want something done about assault-style weapons

70% of Washington politicians take money from the NRA.

24 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

`ignorant ass` people , why because people are making a comment of their views only one or two have mentioned politics.  The real problem is `deliquency of human nature`.

Agreed. This thread, for the most part so far, has remained fairly polite, and respectful of various opinions and perspectives.