Sign in to follow this  
Roger Hargrave

Guns and violin making

This is an open letter to all my violin maker friends. I know that the vast majority of you abhor guns and gun violence. Unfortunately, I am also aware that a number of you own many weapons; including automatic pistols and so-called assault rifles. It seems to me that this fixation with such deadly arsenals is linked entirely to either fear or macho aggression. Each individual must know in which category they belong; although it doesn’t really matter. No-one needs automatic weapons of any description, certainly not for hunting or protection. Make no mistake, by purchasing and owning such weapons you make yourselves culpable whenever such senseless acts of gun violence break out. I urge all of my violin making colleagues, if you have them, please give up these weapons. Have them destroyed; I was about to say before it's too late, but it is already too late. I am sorry if you are offended by this intrusion. I remember that some of you were ofended last time I commented on a mass school shooting, but I have been offended by every outbreak of gun violence that I can remember, and since I recently turned seventy, that amounts to an enormous number of dead children. In the USA alone there has already been 1856 gun-related deaths this year. (Up to 16th February.) At least in our profession let's stop it - please. 

Still,,, some feel the need to protect themselves from the crazy's that do have guns, they should have that right,

guns don't kill people, crazy people with guns kill people,

but if you want to kill some one there are many ways to do it.

If no one has a gun legally,,,many more will have them anyway illegally.

I think glyphophate should be out lawed here,,,,

Hi Roger,,

17 minutes ago, Evan Smith said:

Still,,, some feel the need to protect themselves from the crazy's that do have guns, they should have that right,

guns don't kill people, crazy people with guns kill people,

but if you want to kill some one there are many ways to do it.

If no one has a gun legally,,,many more will have them anyway illegally.

I think glyphophate should be out lawed here,,,,

Hi Roger,,

Heard it all before I'm afraid. Its not crazy people with guns that kill. Its alowing guns to be sold to crazy people that kills. I could go on, but was talking about automatic weapons, guns that can kill so many by just squeezing the trigger once. The statistics alone must be evidence enough. Sure there are mass shooting in Europe, but nothing to compare with the United States. And since loosing my bees again this last year I agree with you about glyphophate, but I am talking about what each individual can do right now - today.

I have a few rifles and a shotgun, but it's been years since I even took them out hunting; about 1987 if I remember correctly. However, should I choose to trek through the wilderness, it's nice to have a rifle at hand, especially when encountering bears or very rarely, wolves. Thirty five years ago my friends and I used to strap our .22 rifles to the handlebars of our bicycles and pedal out of town to go rabbit hunting. Often the local RCMP (police) patrolling early in the morning would wave to us as we rode by. Today, the SWAT team would dispatched.

I think much of the problems that we are seeing is due to poor parenting, lack of discipline, substance abuse,  kids watching horrendous crap on television and internet media, and listening to suggestive or even brainwashing trash rap music.  No wonder these kids are mal-adjusted, social misfits with behavioral problems, develop crazy plots and have a skewed perception of reality. I agree that guns shouldn't be just handed out to anyone that wants one.  However, it's interesting to take note that the majority of these problems of mass-shootings have only cropped up in the last 20 years or so. What has changed in society within that time period?

I have been arguing this point for years: No civilian in this country needs an assault rifle! No civilian needs a weapon capable of mowing down a dozen people in a nation where society hasn't collapsed!

...and Glyphosate is a freaking horror show that Monsanto managed to convince everyone was safe because that's what these monster corporations do, and look what happened! Roger's bees are all gone!  :( 

The weapon used in Florida was a semi auto. All semi auto rifles can be fired in a simulated full auto with the bump technique, with or without bump stock. 

I have had much experience with guns growing up. I find owning them enjoyable. But it doesn't make me feel "macho" or anything like that. I enjoy the sport of shooting and hunting. It's been a bonding experience with my dad and Grandpa. 

I've always thought that mass shootings are more of a societal problem if anything. Lack of proper funding and programs and awareness of mental health  issues and the like.A crazy person can obtain whatever weapon they desire, regardless of laws. 

When going the illegal purchase route, there are not many degrees of separation between literally anyone and a fully loaded AK-47. 

6 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

I have been arguing this point for years: No civilian in this country needs an assault rifle! No civilian needs a weapon capable of mowing down a dozen people in a nation where society hasn't collapsed!

You're right. But instead the military has them, to mow down thousands of third world people in the name of patriotism lol. 

Thank you Roger.

lt’s not about the second amendment. It’s about making money. It’s about the gun manufacturers.

Evan Smith... yes, I could kill someone, if I really wanted to. But why do we make it SO EASY for one person to kill SO MANY. WHY?

Again Bill I am not refering to single shot weapons. I know that you have the kind of wilderness that we can only dream of. I also have hunter friends. My doctor is a hunter. What I am talking about is this lust for automatic and even assult weapons that are capable of cutting most animals and children in half. Surely these are unnecesary? I have to leave now and I will be away for most of the day so I will not be answering any more mails for a while. Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Roger Hargrave said:

What I am talking about is this lust for automatic and even assult weapons that are capable of cutting most animals and children in half. 

Who is lusting after these? They have already been banned in the US for several decades. 

Also, why is it that mass shootings are happening so frequently as each year progresses? They rarely happened even before the assault and full auto ban. 

Guns are all dangerous in the wrong hands, regardless of it's rate that it pumps out ordinance down range. 

Single shot are just as lethal in their own ways too. The Barrett .50 cal can literally explode the upper half of someone from any distance. And it happens to be a gun that can be purchased legally. 

I think that guns have to be an all or nothing type of thing. We either have em or we don't. 

Has anyone ever pondered that perhaps we just live in an inherently mad society, which is only getting worse at a quicker rate every year?

Sigh!

Agree with all points Roger made, except the Machismo. Seems to be very familiar to women, too, to own this killing machines and teach their children that's a great toy.

Lots of brain washing seems to happen there.

3 hours ago, Roger Hargrave said:

Make no mistake, by purchasing and owning such weapons you make yourselves culpable whenever such senseless acts of gun violence break out. I urge all of my violin making colleagues, if you have them, please give up these weapons. Have them destroyed

Just curious: How many of the perpetrators in these killings were violin makers? What sort of improvement might be expected if violin makers who own firearms were to have them destroyed?

2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

I enjoy the sport of shooting and hunting

Why do you use the word "sport" ?

The defensless animal is shot from a distance by a person with a gun.

Where is the "Sport" in that ?

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Just curious: How many of the perpetrators in these killings were violin makers? What sort of improvement might be expected if violin makers who own firearms were to have them destroyed?

Double sigh!

Why should I start to make the world a better place in my own house as long as the others don't do it?

2 minutes ago, Delabo said:

Why do you use the word "sport" ?

The defensless animal is shot from a distance by a person with a gun.

Where is the "Sport" in that ?

Is it somehow more "sporty" to jump on them and strangle them, or clobber them with a rock?

I would ban these stupid video games, there seems to be a disturbing trend of unusual violent acts amongst very young children ,usually aimed at animals initially.

I was going to comment on the guns but pretty pointless on a mainly American forum.

I was only talking to an elderly friend yesterday who lost her sister in a gun  `massacre`, in the UK , i knew 2 other people also killed in it and another who narrowly missed being another victim. My father was in the area at the time as well . And this was only with an old  .22 rifle.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Stradivari didn't own firearms! Maybe that was the secret?  ;)

(sorry, I know it's a serious matter!)

3 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

I think much of the problems that we are seeing is due to poor parenting, lack of discipline, substance abuse,  kids watching horrendous crap on television and internet media, and listening to suggestive or even brainwashing trash rap music.  No wonder these kids are mal-adjusted, social misfits with behavioral problems, develop crazy plots and have a skewed perception of reality. I agree that guns shouldn't be just handed out to anyone that wants one.  However, it's interesting to take note that the majority of these problems of mass-shootings have only cropped up in the last 20 years or so. What has changed in society within that time period?

Nail on the head right here.

4 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Is it somehow more "sporty" to jump on them and strangle them, or clobber them with a rock?

Quite simple ,no need to kill them at all, never heard of supermarkets!

4 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Why the need to kill them at all ?

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

Double sigh!

Why should I start to make the world a better place in my own house as long as the others don't do it?

How does a violin maker having or not having a gun in their house make the word a better or worse place, or influence what crazy people do illegally with guns? (Sure, one could make the argument that people who make violins are closer to being berserk.) :D