Sign in to follow this  
FoxMitchell

Fox's Bench

Thanks!   :) 

5 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

Ah!

MY Generation,,

5 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Did I date myself?  Do people not say cool anymore? B)

I say 'cool'. Which generation is supposed to say 'cool'?

You might be a Gen-Xer.  From this article, 6 out of 8 of these words are part of my vocabulary, so they've got me nailed.  I just missed being a baby boomer.  I'll have to remember not to use these words in an upcoming interview.  Although my mug will probably give me away.

https://www.inc.com/john-brandon/8-words-that-totally-reveal-you-are-not-a-millennial.html

2 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

You might be a Gen-Xer.  From this article, 6 out of 8 of these words are part of my vocabulary, so they've got me nailed.  I just missed being a baby boomer.  I'll have to remember not to use these words in an upcoming interview.  Although my mug will probably give me away.

https://www.inc.com/john-brandon/8-words-that-totally-reveal-you-are-not-a-millennial.html

Sweet! ...I mean, awesome! I mean... cool! ...or... yeah, right, that. You get it.  ;) 

59 minutes ago, carl1961 said:

Fox, Nice, cool awesome video, professional looking too. Ok, you got the bridge and now the sound post, now the rest of the fiddle!

Thanks!  :) 

I've been tweaking my first full build fiddle for about 2 months. I'm finally happy with it, though! I'll be posting about it sooner or later, I'm waiting to see if I get a good recording device for Christmas so I can post it with the usual audio clip.  ;) 

7 hours ago, FoxMitchell said:

Thanks!  :) 

I've been tweaking my first full build fiddle for about 2 months. I'm finally happy with it, though! I'll be posting about it sooner or later, I'm waiting to see if I get a good recording device for Christmas so I can post it with the usual audio clip.  ;) 

All right can't weight! wait LOL

Holy cello, Batman!

I got to repair a hole on some cello's ribs!

20190110_071231.thumb.jpg.24027bc407b12a1a14c4f17bb5c853d5.jpg

I wasn't able to make the repair completely disappear (like on that Triangle Strings article). The broken pieces and all fit well and the repair is structurally sound, I just need to learn to make it blend in better on a new instrument; I bet if this were an old cello already full of scuffs and dings and scratches I could have made it more discrete. Anyone got any tips?

I can't imagine what a p.i.t.a. that repair would be.  Your job looks admirable and already starts the story of the instrument.  Ryan's Triangle repair is pure wizardry.  Can you make it full of scuffs and dings and scratches?  At any rate, it looks like you did a fine job considering

58 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

Anyone got any tips?

That last sentence in the linked article I think is key:

Fill and retouch is also another article all in itself. I will say however that with out a clean and leveled crack surface good retouch cannot happen.

Good fit of the pieces, accurate counterforms, and plenty of clamping pressure to get it level and smooth.  Then the real magic is in the retouch.

The last step in wood repair is definitely retouch. This is something I still struggle with. I've seen masters make severe cracks vanish with subtle dabs of a fine brush and an array of coloring mediums.

The blending of the overall varnish looks great.

17 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

I can't imagine what a p.i.t.a. that repair would be.  Your job looks admirable and already starts the story of the instrument.  Ryan's Triangle repair is pure wizardry.  Can you make it full of scuffs and dings and scratches?  At any rate, it looks like you did a fine job considering

Thanks! And hehe, no, I would rather not try to antique the entire cello just so that one repair will blend in better. It's a student cello, there's only so much time/effort one can dedicate to it.

16 hours ago, Don Noon said:

That last sentence in the linked article I think is key:

Fill and retouch is also another article all in itself. I will say however that with out a clean and leveled crack surface good retouch cannot happen.

Good fit of the pieces, accurate counterforms, and plenty of clamping pressure to get it level and smooth.  Then the real magic is in the retouch.

15 hours ago, ctanzio said:

The last step in wood repair is definitely retouch. This is something I still struggle with. I've seen masters make severe cracks vanish with subtle dabs of a fine brush and an array of coloring mediums.

The blending of the overall varnish looks great.

Thanks! I got reasonably good fit and smoothness. It's the retouching magic that I'm low on.  ;) 

The angle and lightning also make it more, or less noticeable. I didn't feel comfortable doing too strong of a retouch because the chatoyancy of the wood on that spot is really intense and the varnish so transparent, I lack the knowledge on how to make that kind of effect blend, but hopefully in time I will learn the secrets!  :) 

20190110_211201.thumb.jpg.0f0b015775d739c4aabfe49b8e785854.jpg

On this episode of What Found Its Way Onto Fox's Bench, this rather quaint amateur-made fiddle!

20190207_162829_1024.thumb.jpg.835115fe6c9421a34e1e1498bb7cb7d5.jpg

According to the owner, it was made by her great-grandfather some 90 years ago here in the U.S., but I don't have a maker's name to share. Has the typical idiosyncrasies one might come to expect from such instruments. After I was done with it, for what it is, sounded rather nice, surprisingly loud, but playing it was painful; the neck has angle problems that are beyond what they're willing to have fixed.

I brought the 'Anton Schroetter' cello back to life!

Most of it was already posted on its own topic...

...but I'm posting it here too to keep a copy on my 'bench' thread too.  ;) 

Now for some photos...

1690505394_AntonSchroetterCello20190317_114623_2048.thumb.jpg.c8a9da3f339f41233270679dc7aa1c19.jpg 1377986506_AntonSchroetterCello20190317_114951_2048.thumb.jpg.7a83f628e0a93adc130a4496135dfbed.jpg

Turned out to be quite a nice cello! And I made a tiny little video with the sound sample this time.  :) 

Thanks everybody for their help as always!

I wanted to do a shout-out to Thomastik because they really impressed me!

(even though I'm a loyal Warchal user)

I put some Vision Titanium Solo strings on a violin, and overnight the D string started to unravel! So I wrote to Thomastik, and they sent me a replacement string (free of charge)!

20190319_203311.thumb.jpg.7419be10ff65fc4fe2b91c495a5fbfbb.jpg

I think it's awesome that a big company like Thomastik-Infeld actually cares about their customers like that!   :wub:

This has been a long time in the making, but here's at last a little sample of violin #1!

Here's a little video of a friend playing it...

Overall I'm satisfied, specially since apparently most people tend not to be too happy with their first violin.  ;) 

But it took a lot of fine-tuning! However, it was a nice learning experience. I learned, for example, that making your own varnish is not something I would recommend for someone making their first violin. Buy some already-made varnish!! Also attempting to antique a violin without knowing what you're doing will make it look Chinese-y. And I can carve a top in a few days, but takes me weeks to do a neck and scroll... when the top of the scroll doesn't just break-off from a slight bump (that there is neck attempt #3; the first one was ugly, the second one broke, but the 3rd worked)! Davide Sora's videos helped a lot! Check out his channel sometime! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCggqGrdYUEovaC9UKnSMD3g/

Thanks everybody here for their insight and all the information/knowledge you folks share!

I'll post some nice pictures once I get them done. I have a bunch of cellos and violins that need attention first!  ;)