Sign in to follow this  
FoxMitchell

Fox's Bench

7 hours ago, Ron MacDonald said:

Really well done!!  Both the restoration and the video.

7 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Agreed, well done!  This is how fiddles become survivors.

Thank you!  :D

Awsome vidio FoxMitchell, I really enjoyed it. even more special because we got to see your work as you was healing that Violin. just think it could still be silent somewhere in a cold dark room.

4 hours ago, carl1961 said:

Awsome vidio FoxMitchell, I really enjoyed it. even more special because we got to see your work as you was healing that Violin. just think it could still be silent somewhere in a cold dark room.

...or in the garbage!  ;)

Thanks Carl!  :) 

And here's my French lady!

This is the cello from...

...and...

Here's how it turned out after all was said and done!

1430675303_FrenchCello20180529_231343_2048.thumb.jpg.bcb9313524629592a3e00f06f54396a6.jpg  990507796_FrenchCello20180529_232047_2048.thumb.jpg.587bbc0d52ce0ed29388a2eb6e78e083.jpg

I had it checked out by a luthier in Maryland, and seems it's agreed that it's a JTL from circa 1900. Great call, folks!

I've been taking it to rehearsals with me to get input on the setup, and the cellists really like it! I asked one of them to play something for me to record just a little sample, because I don't play the cello at all! So here's a little sample, don't mind it's not the best quality, it's smartphone recording, in a hall with questionable acoustics...

French Cello Sample - Bach Suite 1 in G - Gigue.mp3

Thank you all once again for the advice and expertise! It is so rewarding and feels so good to hear these old instruments brought back to life and being enjoyed once again!

8 minutes ago, carl1961 said:

Fox that sounds great, every note sounds clear. awesome work and job. 

Thanks Carl!

The cellists seemed to like the cello's resonance, the clarity, and how even it is.

....and this seems to be a 'small form' 4/4 or something, because it's a bit narrower than others, so it earned the nickname 'Petite French Lady'.  ;)

That petite size actually attracted a lot of interest; more than one person has expressed interest on it. I might have a bidding war in my hands!

29 minutes ago, carl1961 said:

Great Video! I need one of those mini lathes

Thank you!

I've been wanting a proper lathe for the longest time, but they can be so expensive!

But for the small amount of turning I actually do, I figured I could take a chance with that little one.

2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

I've been looking for a mini lathe to turn fittings too. 

The Excelsior Mini lathe that my work sells looks FITTING to me. 

It's so popular with pen turners that it's perpetually out of stock.

https://www.rockler.com/excelsior-mini-lathe?sid=V9197?promo=shopping

Yeah that's a proper wood lathe. Mine is somewhere between a tool and a toy.  ;) 

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Nice! ^_^

I love it when the new toys are so useful!

Yes!

I didn't do much turning before, but watch now I'm gonna start doing it so much I will need a bigger lathe sooner or later.

FoxMitchell, i ordered one, but it may not be the quality of yours, I see more metal in yours!  But I got it free (If you can say that) I had a coupon for earned credit on things you buy on eBay, another way they try to keep people coming back LOL.

free.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

6 hours ago, carl1961 said:

FoxMitchell, i ordered one, but it may not be the quality of yours, I see more metal in yours!  But I got it free (If you can say that) I had a coupon for earned credit on things you buy on eBay, another way they try to keep people coming back LOL.

free.JPG

Well then, that's what I'd call a good deal!  :D

It looks just like mine; but with these tools you never know if you're truly getting what's pictured until it's delivered. And when you do get it and put it through its paces, remember it's a delicate tool, you can't push it like you can a real lathe. You have to use a gentle touch.  ;) 

Good job! :)

There is the 1-minute bow exercise...which is actually useful to do at least do a couple if times...

Then somewhere along the line I read about the importance of the 2-minute bow exercise...:blink:

I gave it a go - and concluded it was merely an exercise in applied stupidity...