Sign in to follow this  
Brad H

Cutting Wider Bridges

I am specifically wondering about tweaks to wide - 42 mm bridges - but any thoughts on bridges are welcome....  During a recent attempt to tweak a 42 mm bridge, I planed off some of the outside edge from the arms up to crest of bridge. The goal was to reduce bridge mass and increase energy transmitted to body.   I don't know why I had never thought of this before (or, it could be one of those things I tried years ago, then forgot) but it seemed to improve the tone of the violin (the violin opened up a bit).  I tried it on several other 42 mm bridges and the results were inconclusive.  I am just wondering whether this is something that y'all regularly do for wider bridges?  

At the top crest, I took off 0.5mm on both sides, a bit less at the bottom of the arm, so, yes, the angle was slightly changed.

3 hours ago, Brad H said:

I am specifically wondering about tweaks to wide - 42 mm bridges - but any thoughts on bridges are welcome....  During a recent attempt to tweak a 42 mm bridge, I planed off some of the outside edge from the arms up to crest of bridge. The goal was to reduce bridge mass and increase energy transmitted to body.   I don't know why I had never thought of this before (or, it could be one of those things I tried years ago, then forgot) but it seemed to improve the tone of the violin (the violin opened up a bit).  I tried it on several other 42 mm bridges and the results were inconclusive.  I am just wondering whether this is something that y'all regularly do for wider bridges?  

I do it sometimes even on narrower bridges, if that's what I think the fiddle wants.

I've done this with larger viola bridges. When you use a 50mm blank it always seems to me that the outer strings are too are too far from the edges of the bridge and if you plane away some material it looks better.