Sign in to follow this  
mathieu valde

Mittenwald violin - any ideas about age

As far as I understand it from Mittenwald, somebody later made neck angle modernising, together with ribs enlargement.  Any ideas about age? Any comments? I'll think to convert it back to baroque setup  and take off extra additions to ribs, blocks, cornerblocks. Neck - was it nailed before?  And there are too much cleats :) 

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

Ther are some odditities like the short corners (filed down?) and the linings stopping at the corner blocks, without any sign of a former mortice, I've seen some instruments from other origins and different construction imitating the assymetrical form of the blocks. Without seeing more than some cuttings and fragmentions it's not to tell.

10 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Why does the "block" look like it was capped?

capped_block.jpg

Like he wrote and how it's visible at the photo of the rib corner, the ribs were made higher at the bottom side. This requires to add wood to the blocks, too, and to replace the bottom linings with broader ones. But it doesn't explain why the presumably original belly C linings aren'rt inserted into the block.

5 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Like he wrote and how it's visible at the photo of the rib corner, the ribs were made higher at the bottom side.

Oh, I see now. Thanks.

Furthermore the ribs and the bottom have a different varnish than the part of the scroll which is visible. Possibly all is a composite, the ribs adjusted to the plates, the neck (with or without end block) to the rest.