DoorMouse

1995 Del Gesu Book

Does anyone own a copy or know anything about the Joseph Guarnerius del Gesu - Cremona 1995 book?

I'm curious to know if it has full size images and if it features different instruments than the Biddulph book.

14900058.jpeg

The violins depicted in the book are:

Jean Becker 1732,  Stauffer 1734,  Turkish 1737,  Cannone 1742, Cariplo 1744 and the pochette Fountaine 1740

Apart from the Cannone, the other instruments are not found in the Biddulph book

The format of the book is 33 X 24.5 cm, so no full-size photos aside for scrolls and F-holes, exception made for the small pochette Fountaine that has top and back in natural size due to its small size, strangely no detailed pictures of the scroll for this lovely Dancing Master's instruments.

The book is completed by three mostly historical essays on Guarneri del Gesù by Charles Beare, Andrea Mosconi, Duane Rosengard and Carlo chiesa.
Among the scientific advisors also "our" Bruce Carlson.

Anyway a nice book with good quality photos.

1 hour ago, DoorMouse said:

Does anyone own a copy or know anything about the Joseph Guarnerius del Gesu - Cremona 1995 book?

I'm curious to know if it has full size images and if it features different instruments than the Biddulph book.

14900058.jpeg

No, no full size images outside of the scroll. It's mostly a photo album with some articles on Guarneri 'del Gesù'. The only instrument in this small exhibition that is the same as the big exhibition in New York is Paganini's Cannon 1743. The book was never really intended for makers but more as a visitor's catalogue.

From memory there is a small 'del Gesù' c.1740 (dancing master's kit, pochette) with a scroll attributed to Lott. One from Japan known as the 'Jean Becker'. 1732. One from 1744, 'Rose, Hennel, Grumiaux. One from c.1734 ex Pinchas Zuckerman. Another called the 'Turkish' 1737 after the country where it was rediscovered. Six in all.

Davide beat me to it.

Bruce

5 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

Does anyone own a copy or know anything about the Joseph Guarnerius del Gesu - Cremona 1995 book.

I always enjoyed this little book, the cost was inviting for what it offered, especially the spread of  Il Cannone  photos.

Certainly no substitute for the   2-vol Biddulph book but  I imagine  it is getting hard to come by these days.

good luck !

Thanks to both of you for the swift replies. There seems to be a lack of information online regarding this book but it sounds like it would be a worthwhile suppliment to the Biddulph and Hill books.