wooden

Violin for identification

This violin has been brought in order to repair it. The owner has asked me about its provenance but I don't really know where it can be from. It has been extensively repaired. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Wooden,

you know already that there are more informations necessry to deduce a possible origin - regarding construction (blocks, linings, lower rib), scroll flutings, LOB etc. Is this a one piece belly or a jointed?

From the first impression I would tend to say probably Mittenwald school early 19th century, but this would need more informations to be confirmed.

Hi Blank Face. Thank you very much for your kind reply. 

The violin is jointed belly. 35,1 cms length. Fluting of the scroll to the very pegbox. Small corner blocks with butted narrow linings. Two piece lower rib. 31 mm lower lib height and 29mm upper ones. I hope this helps. 

If I'm understanding you right, the linings are not inserted and the corner blocks rather symmetrical? This would exclude a Mittenwald or related (Austrian, Danubian) origin. I'm stopping here, before I'm getting into wild guessing if It's french or spanish or whatever and wait for more informed opinions.

Good advice! My eyes are seeing that the whole brownish coating, especially at the scroll and bottom, can't be original, and the purfling is deeply sunken into the wood, the varnish chippy there. Maybe it's much older than I assumed in the first place.

I think the violin of the scroll and the body looks like the same. Maybe the photos are not very precise. It was my fault. Sorry.

Assuming that the scroll is heavily overcoated, same with big parts of the body, it's hard to tell what's original and what not. The dark brown varnish is covering worn parts in the center of the bottom, for instance, and at both sides of the neck, so it's most likely a later addition. The more light orange brown colour seems to be original in my eyes.

The reason I ask isn’t due to varnish, rather the body seems to be a nice round freindly looking object, almost as if she were wearing a Dirndl, wheras the scroll/pegbox seems to have a different character

it's difficult to tell with these pictures , where we can't see very well in somewhere .

i think this violin had some changes in somehow .

i don't know if the heel is repaired (the picture is not clear enough )?

the scroll is original or changed with a different scroll ?

the pattern of the violin looked like Klotz school as well as the f-holes too (maybe) ?

so if you can attach some clear closeup photos without shadow would be better .

21 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The reason I ask isn’t due to varnish, rather the body seems to be a nice round freindly looking object, almost as if she were wearing a Dirndl, wheras the scroll/pegbox seems to have a different character

You're assuming "she" is going out for the Oktoberfest (which already will start in September again):D? Though not exactly, I'm understanding it in the way that this was the reason why some of us associated Mittenwald at the first glance.

My thought was that the scroll's character could be altered or at least blurred by wearing a different coating (not a Tirolerhut;)). Of course it looks more like a haggard.