Terry Colley

A place for everything

Inspired by my visit to Cremona and the workshop of Davide Sora I decided to organise my bench and tools before I start violin number 5. I am a signwriter by trade and Colleys of parnell street was my grandmothers tobacco and wine shop. The capital carving is from a local shopfront and violin is number 4 awaiting set up. I am looking forward to working here , still a work in progress but a good start

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

Wow Terry, that looks incredible!

You also appear to have more tools than me, something which I previously thought no one could beat!

Good luck with number 5!

Great to see a shop where every thing has its place.

My shop is just a place for everything... and it's getting mighty crowded.

1 hour ago, Dave Slight said:

Wow Terry, that looks incredible!

You also appear to have more tools than me, something which I previously thought no one could beat!

Good luck with number 5!

Thanks Dave actually thinned out the tools to buy violin stuff, you are more than welcome to visit anytime you are passing , have recently sold a plane to a local bloke who has a few hundred planes will be visiting his place soon

57 minutes ago, JohnCockburn said:

Very impressive.

Do you always get your records specially pressed on white vinyl so they don't show the dust? :P

Always like a bit of vinyl playing while working , not all classical that one is Penguine eggs by Nick Jones 

17 minutes ago, Terry Colley said:

Thanks Dave actually thinned out the tools to buy violin stuff, you are more than welcome to visit anytime you are passing , have recently sold a plane to a local bloke who has a few hundred planes will be visiting his place soon

Always like a bit of vinyl playing while working , not all classical that one is Penguine eggs by Nick Jones 

That's a wonderful album.

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

Great to see a shop where every thing has its place.

My shop is just a place for everything... and it's getting mighty crowded.

And everything is in the same place in my shop.

2 hours ago, Terry Colley said:

Inspired by my visit to Cremona and the workshop of Davide Sora I decided to organise my bench and tools before I start violin number 5. I am a signwriter by trade and Colleys of parnell street was my grandmothers tobacco and wine shop. The capital carving is from a local shopfront and violin is number 4 awaiting set up. I am looking forward to working here , still a work in progress but a good start

IMG_4771.JPG

I'm glad to have been an inspiration for you, and it was nice to welcome your visit.

Really nice workplace, love the two little brass handplanes in the picture. Is the one on the left handmade?

4 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

I'm glad to have been an inspiration for you, and it was nice to welcome your visit.

Really nice workplace, love the two little brass handplanes in the picture. Is the one on the left handmade?

The one on the right is a Luban copy of the Stanley no1 and the brass one on the left is by william Marples of Sheffield they were a great company back in the day . Here is a closer picture of my two favourites

IMG_4794.JPG

A truly spectacular, commendable, and disgustingly well organized display.  Very well decorated, too.  I love it!!  :)

My attempts at organization always start with the best of intentions, and then quickly deteriorate into wanton chaos once I get working on something. You have a very nice looking work space.

28 minutes ago, Conor Russell said:

I went to school on Parnell square!

Very cool Terry. Are you in Dublin?

Connor my parents were from Dublin moved over in 58 to find work here in England , My great grandmother had a shop at 113 Parnell St it made the front page of the Herald in 1948 as Dublins most burgled shop. I am hoping to reverse what my parents did and retire to the west of Ireland ,  Kilkee , making violins and painting

39 minutes ago, Terry Colley said:

Connor my parents were from Dublin moved over in 58 to find work here in England , My great grandmother had a shop at 113 Parnell St it made the front page of the Herald in 1948 as Dublins most burgled shop. I am hoping to reverse what my parents did and retire to the west of Ireland ,  Kilkee , making violins and painting

I looked it up, wondering if it was where i bought single fags (with a match) when i was a chap. But no.  I see your ancestor William got £8 16s and 6d for damage done in North Earl Street in 1916!

2 hours ago, Terry Colley said:

The one on the right is a Luban copy of the Stanley no1 and the brass one on the left is by william Marples of Sheffield they were a great company back in the day . Here is a closer picture of my two favourites

IMG_4794.JPG

Lovely!!:wub:

26 minutes ago, Conor Russell said:

I looked it up, wondering if it was where i bought single fags (with a match) when i was a chap. But no.  I see your ancestor William got £8 16s and 6d for damage done in North Earl Street in 1916!

Thanks for that Conor, the shop was a Tobacconist and sold spirits too William also based his plumbing business out of the shop 

Very impressively organized! I think about reorganizing mine when ever I'm in it but mostly I just tidy it up because working on fiddles is so much more fun.