marco2112

This post has been deleted

5 hours ago, uncle duke said:

was thinking along the lines of a young teenager mustering enough courage to even venture to a violin shop for the first time with something that possibly needs fixed.  Then, after the hard part of just getting there to the front door is accomplished , the shop owner rains on the youngsters parade with the words sorry kiddo, I've got better things to do, this is not worth my time and effort and no I don't know where else...

That 14 year old was me, wanting to be a violin maker.

12 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Marmite:)

Canadian marmite?   I'll see what I can do! 

29 minutes ago, Rue said:

Canadian marmite?   I'll see what I can do! 

"On 24 January 2014, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency was noted, in a CBC story, as moving to stop the sale of Marmite, as well as Vegemite and Ovaltine, in Canada because they were enriched with vitamins and minerals which were not listed in Canadian food regulations. The agency said the products were not a health hazard.[48] The CFIA later clarified that these specific items had been seized because they were not the versions that are formulated for sale in Canada and which met all Canadian food regulations. Canadian versions of Marmite and the other products would still be permitted to be sold in Canada." (Wikipedia)

Rue maybe you should ask yourself if your visit is desirable ad kalendas graecas:D

27 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Harrumph! Are you suggesting that you get more gifts than Jeffrey and I do?  toetap.gif  smash.gif  ;)

Yes, certainly. I even have Australian Cocoa on this account, “Haigh's Chocolates Gourmet Collection”. That was rather sad, since they came all the way from Australia to find out what their violin was, and I didn't know.

Why would a luthier who primarily makes violins, and repairs and restores violins that they own, have the bother and expense of a shop ?

If the shop has a sign that says "violin repairs", then it is only common sense that the luthier would repair violins.

If a luthier does not like the look of a customer then the age old way to get rid of the customer is to estimate a ridiculous overcharge. If the customer agrees to the estimate, then either do the work and bank the cash, or think of some other strategy, such as it will be a 2 year wait  before I can get around to the work.

If a customer brings in their own bridge then tell them it will cost $75 to install it.

If the customer does not bring in their own bridge then charge $25 for the bridge and $50 to install it.

If as a luthier you are getting close to retirement, are now a grumpy old man, (or woman) have paid the mortgage off, and have a big stash of cash, then close the shop and go for a world cruise.

Simples  :)

30 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Yes, certainly. I even have Australian Cocoa on this account, “Haigh's Chocolates Gourmet Collection”.

Isn't that made from Kangaroo, uhm,  "leavings"? :o

Last I heard, actual cocoa growing in Australia hadn't gotten beyond feasibility studies. ;)

37 minutes ago, Addie said:

I went there the next day trying my hand as a tonewood peddler - no luck either.

43 minutes ago, Delabo said:

Why would a luthier who primarily makes violins, and repairs and restores violins that they own, have the bother and expense of a shop ?

If the shop has a sign that says "violin repairs", then it is only common sense that the luthier would repair violins

The sign on the front of my shop doesn't say “Violin Repairs”. It says “Geigenbaumeister”and “Allgemein beeideter und gerichtlich zertifizierte Sachverständiger”, both of which are qualifications that I had to take an exam to achieve. I have a shop, where I sell violins. If you are entitled to dislike Marmite, why shouldn't I be entitled to dislike your violin?

10 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

why shouldn't I be entitled to dislike your violin?

You can dislike whatever you want. But if you express it in a way that he leaves so disgusted that he gives up, then everyone in the violin community loses.

Perhaps I could hustle up more business if I put a magnetic sign on my car which read,

"Need a Geigenboumeister? Call Dave". There are lots of options, from painting to removable vinyl graphics and magnetic signs.

I tried the bleached-to-white beyond shoulder length hair thing for a while, and that may have been what really pushed things into the seven year wait realm.  :lol:

I haven't experimented much yet with the curmudgeonly and pissed off approach, so am not prepared to say  at this point that it couldn't have value.

1 hour ago, romberg flat said:

"On 24 January 2014, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency was noted, in a CBC story, as moving to stop the sale of Marmite, as well as Vegemite and Ovaltine, in Canada because they were enriched with vitamins and minerals which were not listed in Canadian food regulations. The agency said the products were not a health hazard.[48] The CFIA later clarified that these specific items had been seized because they were not the versions that are formulated for sale in Canada and which met all Canadian food regulations. Canadian versions of Marmite and the other products would still be permitted to be sold in Canada." (Wikipedia)

Rue maybe you should ask yourself if your visit is desirable ad kalendas graecas:D

That was  relatively short-lived concern...so it's all good now!

I could very well visit Austria yet.  While travelling in Europe I've visited every violin shop I stumble across and have already dealt with several very friendly and some very surly individuals, so I'm feeling more confident in general!

8 minutes ago, deans said:

You can dislike whatever you want. But if you express it in a way that he leaves so disgusted that he gives up, then everyone in the violin community loses.

bollocks

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

If the shop has a sign that says "violin repairs", then it is only common sense that the luthier would repair violins

50 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The sign on the front of my shop doesn't say “Violin Repairs”. It says “Geigenbaumeister”and “Allgemein beeideter und gerichtlich zertifizierte Sachverständiger”, both of which are qualifications that I had to take an exam to achieve. I have a shop, where I sell violins. 

"JACOB SAUNDERS- MASTER VIOLIN MAKER AND RESTORER IN KLOSTERNEUBURG

Services include:

• Repair to instruments and their bows
  • Consultancy regarding antique instruments
  • Rental of instruments, particularly of the children’s sizes
  • Sale and purchase of antique instruments"

Where do you suppose this came from?B)

1 hour ago, Addie said:

Me To.... might be an inverse relationship....I was 41when my first was done.           As for the body of this thread... Wholy moly! Wouldn’t of thought there would be such an emotional response to someone acting in their own perceived best interest.... trying to source their own parts....reguardless of their success or failure , no need to berate the ignorant, ....perhaps Some here have all the titles and work they need or want and can therefore afford to be rude, knowing that only a few qualified certified people can compeate. Here in the States we have no such state sponsored security certification, have to be a bit more social in our response.

14 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

"JACOB SAUNDERS- MASTER VIOLIN MAKER AND RESTORER IN KLOSTERNEUBURG

Services include:

• Repair to instruments and their bows
  • Consultancy regarding antique instruments
  • Rental of instruments, particularly of the children’s sizes
  • Sale and purchase of antique instruments"

Where do you suppose this came from?

The CIA presumably,

If you could read, you will realise that I was answering a post that said "If the shop has a sign that says "violin repairs"

You don't get the point, that just because I can repair violins,  it doesn't mean that I am obliged too.

9 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The CIA presumably,

If you could read, you will realise that I was answering a post that said "If the shop has a sign that says "violin repairs"

You don't get the point, that just because I can repair violins,  it doesn't mean that I am obliged too.

If you could "read" the post said a "sign", not "the sign on the front".  You do not get away with answering a question you wish was asked when smarter people are in the room.

It is from your website, not the CIA, looks like Delabo had a good point!

32 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The CIA presumably,

Jacob,  it's looking' like what Jerry quoted is from your own web site, and I checked. I can't control how one can change their website in the next few minutes or days or months, so this post may go into obscurity, unless one knows how to use web archives..

Sure, I've sometimes needed to back-pedal on things I've posted on my website too.

8 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Why hasn't this post been deleted?

I think it's hilarious that thread titled "This post has been deleted" translates to we're going to talk about whatever we feel like in MN speak.  I usually don't follow these threads, but I find this one both civil and entertaining.  Write-on!

-Jim

15 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

You do not get away with answering a question you wish was asked when smarter people are in the room.

I wonder who you mean:rolleyes:

Funny, my old shop also advertised "Violin family instrument repair". Many a fool stumbled in there with a broken fiddle...

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

bollocks

I wonder if certain classical-music radio hosts (and travel entrepreneurs as well) are aware of what a cultural treasure lurks in Klosterneuburg.  A visit to Jacob's shop could become a high point of their popular musically-themed Danube cruises.  :huh::lol: