marco2112

This post has been deleted

It was probably the same. My considerations were, that the position of the transducer with the tiny wire coming out of it won't ever allow to reduce the blank to the correct thickness nor the right distance between underside of the bridge and the belly, but just to adjust the feet and height. IMO this isn't "fitting a bridge" to a violin. OTOH I'm wondering why anybody who likes to play electric doesn't take a Yamaha or similar instead of transforming an acoustical which wasn't meant for this purpose.

It's ok with me, if other shops will do it, or make any repair as they like,  just it's not what I'm liking to spent my time with.

It would seem to be quite unknown, or un-understood. If I go down to the station and buy a train ticket into central Vienna, there is what they call „Kontahierungszwang“ (roughly, contractual obligation) for the federal railway to take me there. By contrast, if you walk into my shop with a violin to repair, I can want to do it, but have no obligation whatsoever to do so, unless I agree. If I am not in the mood, or consider it to not be to my advantage, there is no way you can insist that I must repair your violin, particularly if I disasgree or don’t approve with what you want to have done to it.

35 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

If I am not in the mood,

I agree with your post except for this one statement. I would not recommend anyone refuse work because they are not on the mood. Most professionals in just about any other field do not have this choice.  The musicians who you sell stuff to certainly cannot stop playing because their mood suddenly changed.

I must say the mercenary attitude in some of these posts, although not surprising, is comical.  It must be tiring always stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I will consider using a bridge that a customer brings if it is suitable, I will consider doing great work to a violin that someone else considers un-worthy as the person that loves it is always worthy,  and I will buy cookies from a girl scout even though the price might be a little higher than the commercial equivalent.  You spend time counting the coins, and we will spend time being human.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

I must say the mercenary attitude in some of these posts, although not surprising, is comical.  It must be tiring always stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I will consider using a bridge that a customer brings if it is suitable, I will consider doing great work to a violin that someone else considers un-worthy as the person that loves it is always worthy,  and I will buy cookies from a girl scout even though the price might be a little higher than the commercial equivalent.  You spend time counting the coins, and we will spend time being human.

I like this sentiment! :wub:

On the contrary. I am not responsible for anybody elses „moods“. When I get up in the morning, I am the one who decides how I want to spend my day, and am not obliged to do chores for anyone, unless I want too.

8 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

On the contrary. I am not responsible for anybody elses „moods“. When I get up in the morning, I am the one who decides how I want to spend my day, and am not obliged to do chores for anyone, unless I want too.

Absolutely, and if you are not in the mood maybe that girl scout should piss off!

8 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I think you misunderstood me.

1 hour ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

I will buy cookies from a girl scout even though the price might be a little higher than the commercial equivalent. 

I especially like the chocolate mint ones....

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

I especially like the chocolate mint ones....

Me too. But these days I just give them a donation and run.

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

It would seem to be quite unknown, or un-understood. If I go down to the station and buy a train ticket into central Vienna, there is what they call „Kontahierungszwang“ (roughly, contractual obligation) for the federal railway to take me there. By contrast, if you walk into my shop with a violin to repair, I can want to do it, but have no obligation whatsoever to do so, unless I agree. If I am not in the mood, or consider it to not be to my advantage, there is no way you can insist that I must repair your violin, particularly if I disasgree or don’t approve with what you want to have done to it.

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I see I'm not the only prima donna loose on this board. [sound of diva giggles] :ph34r:;):lol:

That reminds me.  Anyone heard from Carl Stross lately?  If he's not deceased, hospitalized, or in custody somewhere, he ought to be in the middle of this. :huh:

I can't see what buying cookies from a scout or shoveling snow for the old neighbour has to do with how to run a business or which work you might accept or not.

You can repair or set up a  poor students instrument, from time to time for free or little, but reject regulary work at such objects at the same time. To mix up both is comical in my eyes.

Of course it's more easy if you are running a big shop with employees, large rooms to accept everything a customer might bring in, but less if you're on your own and have to decide if to work for a wage perhour or, like Jacob said, decide to add value, or like Jeffrey, prefer doing your own long time projects.

21 hours ago, Rue said:

You can be still nice but set limits.

It's okay to say "no" .

Why should there be an ethical spin?

5 minutes ago, Blank face said:

I can't see what buying cookies from a scout or shoveling snow for the old neighbour has to do with how to run a business or which work you might accept or not.

You can repair or set up a  poor students instrument, from time to time for free or little, but reject regulary work at such objects at the same time. To mix up both is comical in my eyes.

Of course it's more easy if you are running a big shop with employees, large rooms to accept everything a customer might bring in, but less if you're on your own and have to decide if to work for a wage perhour or, like Jacob said, decide to add value, or like Jeffrey, prefer doing your own long time projects.

Why should there be an ethical spin?

Telling customers to “piss off” is a problem no matter what you think you know about business or ethics.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Telling customers to “piss-off” is a problem no matter what you think you know about business or ethics.

Maybe there's a difference here between spoken and written language? :D

I would have known if there was a luthier somewhere in Vienna telling customers such wording.

To be honest, who ever had never this in mind, from time to time?

I would think Mr. Saunders would say actually say something , Sorry but I can't fix this for you but Mr. So N So on the other side of town will do it.  Piss off is for us Maestroneters but please correct me if I am mistaken.

8 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Maybe there's a difference here between spoken and written language? :D

I would have known if there was a luthier somewhere in Vienna telling customers such wording.

Good point, we really don’t know if what he is posting is true.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Jetson said:

I would think Mr. Saunders would say actually say something , Sorry but I can't fix this for you but Mr. So N So on the other side of town will do it.  Piss off is for us Maestroneters but please correct me if I am mistaken.

Possibly, in which case it is a good thing no customers have access to the internet.:mellow:

57 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

I see I'm not the only prima donna loose on this board. [sound of diva giggles] :ph34r:;):lol:

If you have made the conscious decision to spend your life repairing everybody who comes around‘s eBay gargoyles, particularly those (most) where they have already spent much to much buying it and now wish to save on the repair, then it is no skin off my nose.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Jetson said:

I'm booked out untill September (for instance) is generally perfectly adiquate. I never remark upon colleagues, unless positively

9 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Jerry, I feel your post reflects an encouraging attitude which does not seem to be prevalent in some of the previous post on this thread. Kindness must prevail or we'll all fail!

In the guitar world, this attitude of won't work on instruments I didn't sell is rubbish.  I send some of my high-end instruments to a place in Pennsylvania because they do specific repairs better than anyone I know.  I send others to a gentleman in New Mexico because he is extremely competent and also very quick in his turn around.  And there is a man in town who studied urushi in Japan who can put a variety of finishes on a guitar better than anyone I've known in my 72 years.  He currently does the finish work on all of the guitars made by a well known $$$$$ boutique maker luthier and his work is magnificent.

If a customer wants a specific bridge and it is not junk or common, I think it's nuts if you don't accommodate him or her.  You can charge for the bridge as if you sold it.  As far as not working on walk-in instruments, that is also crazy.  Guy might have Aunt Zelda's decent German fiddle he wants to fix up for his daughter.  What's the harm in that?  Well at least I know who is real and who is  bit much on this board now.  Sheesh...

Then again, maybe all of you hot shots are working on nothing made after 1799 by pastafarians and you are wealthy beyond belief.  Then I guess you can pick and choose... otherwise, it is 顧客は神です.... the customer is a god...

28 minutes ago, Streetglide said:

Well at least I know who is real and who is  bit much on this board now.  Sheesh...

And you are basing that on some comments on an internet forum?    I think I would want to talk to his customers before I passed judgement on his business ( I am assuming you are referring to Jacob S.)

General comment after reading this thread....The internet is a fantastic venue for allowing people (who may or may not know pertinent facts and details) to pass judgement on others.  I can not understand the attacks on a business owner who declines to work on certain jobs.    From what I can gather, Jacob has been in this business a long time - he must have a successful and sustainable business plan.     Do your thing and let others do theirs.