marco2112

This post has been deleted

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Yup,  OP got scared, and I don't blame him.

Jeffrey and I are far from desperate for business.

If one deals with those who are desperate for business, you get what you get. In rare cases, it can work out.

48 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Sometimes I'm afraid that being a too nice guy is a mistake. I'm looking at a slowly growing heap of cheap bows from our music school, brought here as "please rehair them, whenever you'll find the time".:mellow:

Send them out to Viola d'Amore.  :ph34r::lol:

If nothing else, she can send the school fabulous novelty pencils...

31 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Jacob, some of your comments surprise me.  In your exalted position in the trade, I can understand you telling some plebeian to "piss off" for asking you to fit a bridge or install strings they came in with, but you seem to be saying that you refuse to work on anything bought at auction.  Where did the two famous Franks come from, and what if someone came in with their Strad just gotten from Brompton's or wherever?

One Frank belonged to a neigbour, who had inherited it from her grandfather in law. I have, on occasion played string Quartetts with her, and her son bought a Cappa Cello from me. The other belonged to the Museum in Linz. I said that I saw little motivation to restore something a third person had bought at auction, and explained why, so I see little reason to twist the meaning of what I said.

1 hour ago, Jeff Jetson said:

My primary violin is the pride and joy of my life. Suppose I had ordered a custom set of matching pegs, tailpiece, and endpin from Eric Meyers and since I am not able to install them myself would have to rely upon someone highly skilled to do this work for me. Would all of you famous luthiers refuse to do this work because I purchased the supplies from somewhere else?

Nope. I would consider it an honor to be entrusted with installing a set of Eric Meyer pegs.

But I"d much prefer to work directly with Eric, than with a customer who doesn't really know what they are doing, and is just groping about on the internet.

4 minutes ago, Addie said:

Send them out to Viola d'Amore.  :ph34r::lol:

Good idea, school orchestra trip to Florida:rolleyes:. I'll join them to control the labour.

4 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

One Frank belonged to a neigbour, who had inherited it from her grandfather in law. I have, on occasion played string Quartetts with her, and her son bought a Cappa Cello from me. The other belonged to the Museum in Linz. I said that I saw little motivation to restore something a third person had bought at auction, and explained why, so I see little reason to twist the meaning of what I said.

Sorry, wasn't intending to twist.  I had gotten the impression that you did free-lance restorations.  When you said "restore" rather than "install parts" it sounded like you were only restoring your own finds, which didn't sound right.  :)

57 minutes ago, Jeff Jetson said:

My primary violin is the pride and joy of my life. Suppose I had ordered a custom set of matching pegs, tailpiece, and endpin from Eric Meyers and since I am not able to install them myself would have to rely upon someone highly skilled to do this work for me. Would all of you famous luthiers refuse to do this work because I purchased the supplies from somewhere else? 

i can certainly sympathize with OP  Marco and his frustration  since I can see the possibility that he had scoured through lots of bridges for one pretty one that appealed to him. I also appreciate pretty wood  whereas I think that looks do not matter that much to most players.

I'd be tickled to install Eric's fittings. Now, if you had ordered them and had a tailpiece that was too long to get the correct afterlength, that's not my fault. If the pegs that you have would require that I bush your peg holes since you got told Eric the wrong diameter to turn the pegs to, not my fault, but you might balk at 600-700 to install your pegs. Oh no, your hole for the endbutton needs bushing to make it fit... 

Which is all to say that in the end, you might have come out ahead by going to your local violin maker and asking them to help you set up your violin with those really cool fittings made by that Eric Meyer guy in Oregon.

As for the orig. bridge blank, even Deluxe blanks have problems and when I purchase bridges I sort through hundreds to get the ones that I think will work best. The Amazon blank might need to hang in the window for a few years before it would be ready to use.

9 minutes ago, duane88 said:

I'd be tickled to install Eric's fittings. Now, if you had ordered them and had a tailpiece that was too long to get the correct afterlength, that's not my fault. If the pegs that you have would require that I bush your peg holes since you got told Eric the wrong diameter to turn the pegs to, not my fault, but you might balk at 600-700 to install your pegs. Oh no, your hole for the endbutton needs bushing to make it fit... 

Which is all to say that in the end, you might have come out ahead by going to your local violin maker and asking them to help you set up your violin with those really cool fittings made by that Eric Meyer guy in Oregon.

As for the orig. bridge blank, even Deluxe blanks have problems and when I purchase bridges I sort through hundreds to get the ones that I think will work best. The Amazon blank might need to hang in the window for a few years before it would be ready to use.

Yup, all true, but you aren't "Joe's Corner Music and Band Supplies"  roughly installing Chinese kindling by choice.  Probably none of us here are, but I'd also wager that none of us here would install said kindling after accepting the Aubert from the customer, without consultation.  Even "piss off" is a consultation.

1 minute ago, Stavanger said:

@Violadamore - Can you get me a "climate refugee"-permit from the State of Florida? B)

Actually, that would be Federal.  Since your weather may be due to "climate change", and that's become rather political, maybe a case could be made for political asylum.  What's it worth to you?  :ph34r::lol:

9 minutes ago, Stavanger said:

Your favorite ugly folk-fiddle. And a fitting of a ebay/amazon/aliexpress-bridge of any/no brand. :D

Piss off.  Oh, and have a nice day. :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

May I quote you, should we cross swords at some point:)

But of course.  :lol:.

3 hours ago, Rue said:

Due to "rude responses"?

What about all the non-rude responses? Why are they being penalized?  So not fair!

"They" (the OP) deleted their own post.  They were not penalized.

BTW, if in future, I offer any of you a "free consultation", you'll know what I mean.  :lol:

42 minutes ago, Stavanger said:

@Violadamore - Can you get me a "climate refugee"-permit from the State of Florida? B)

As you are from Norway, you're invited by the President himself. Maybe he needs some folk art fiddles and rotten bows, too.:unsure:

12 hours ago, Violadamore said:

BTW, if in future, I offer any of you a "free consultation", you'll know what I mean.  :lol:

I might be interested in taking you up on that offer, depending on the specifics of the contract. ;)

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

"They" (the OP) deleted their own post.  They were not penalized.

Yes. I know. My mild sarcasm didn't translate...^_^

5 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I see no motivation to restore something someone else has bought at auction, since I can buy at auction myself, just as I won’t restore anything for a dealer. I know some do, talk about „Road to Serfdom“

OK, I can empathize with this.  I'm much more into "Strads Without Slavery", myself.  :ph34r:;):lol:

Anybody think we can get this amusingly titled thread to 36 pages? :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

:ph34r:;):lol:

Anybody think we can get this amusingly titled thread to 36 pages? :)

To bored in Florida,,,,

of course, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you could go to 136 if you wanted.

The directions taken and the subjects covered,,or most likely uncovered could be quite amusing.

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572

18 hours ago, Blank face said:

The last bridge a customer brought for fitting was an extremely expensive online bought blank with a built in small microphone. I told him that this was pure nonsense IMO and refused in the first place, but (because I knew him for many years) was persuaded, just to get rid of him quickly, not without let him swear that he won't blame me if the thing would fail afterwards. Some months later he told me that the damned object flopped soon, as expected (no warranty from the online shop).

I don't know if it is the same brand, but there is a bridge with a built-in transducer that is very popular with fiddle players, both amateur and touring professionals. I have never used one, but they sound pretty good from the stage. This particular brand installs the transducer into a Superieur Despiau bridge. 

I am not sure why any capable luthier would refuse to install this for a customer, particularly since I have not heard of any luthiers installing transducers into their own bridges. Obviously, they are not responsible for any defects in the bridge, but, really, any customer can make any bridge flop.