marco2112

This post has been deleted

31 minutes ago, James M. Jones said:

I,d say a vote for the lesser of two evils ...is still a vote for evil..... Hanging up a sign and saying “please visit us “on a web page (from Jacobs site)after listing all ones attributes , elicits a sort of social contract, one that while unwritten still carries a certain weight. Personally I,m tired of all the rude boy crap I see today....sure one might have that right, but why exersise it? If a guy is so close to margin they can,t take a few minutes to entertain and inform...what’s the point? Maybe a more lucrative business might better suit. 

There is no „social contract“ on the site that says I feel obliged to fit a foreign Amazon bridge on someones ebay gargoyle, which is the theme of this thread. Perhaps it’s lonley in Wisconsin, and you’re glad when you have someone to talk too

15 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

I feel that we are addressing two related but separate cases.  Uriah Heep certainly is appropriate for dealers, but when considering makers, Captain Ahab (or sometimes Queeg) seems more apropos. :ph34r:

Don't leave out Bartlelby the Scrivener... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

C’mon guys, this is not an either/or.  How about not insulting customers and not committing fraud.  Isn’t that the best solution? 

What? Trying to do two things at the same time? Next you'll be suggesting even more preposterous and impossible things, like trying to finger and bow at the same time, or playing double stops. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Addie said:

Don't leave out Bartlelby the Scrivener... :ph34r:

coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572

17 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

There is no „social contract“ on the site that says I feel obliged to fit a foreign Amazon bridge on someones ebay gargoyle, which is the theme of this thread. Perhaps it’s lonley in Wisconsin, and you’re glad when you have someone to talk too

Jacob you are as transparent as you are hilarious.  If you have to change the context to make your behavior seem acceptable,  maybe it is not the context that is the issue!

37 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

I feel that we are addressing two related but separate cases.  Uriah Heep certainly is appropriate for dealers, but when considering makers, Captain Ahab (or sometimes Queeg) seems more apropos. :ph34r:

The Captain Ahab approach no longer works (if it ever really did),  today we all need to be more like Uriah Heep.

46 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Jacob you are as transparent as you are hilarious.  If you have to change the context to make your behavior seem acceptable,  maybe it is not the context that is the issue!

You are not hilarious. You are a moronic lying arsehole

My first real contact with Furse was when he called me somewhat out of the blue, while traveling between the Edesz shop and the US,  had run out of money, and asked me to lend him some. After checking around a little with his classmates at the Salt Lake School, I did.

Yup, he paid me back, even though there were lots of ways he could have gotten out of it.

Larry, if you want me to delete this post, I will, but I was thinking of it as a tribute to you, the lean path some may need to follow to get a good education, and your ethics.

In relation to this thread, I suggest everyone read "The Prince" by Machiavelli, because , well , someone did Mention Uriah Heep and after all, after reading The Prince, well we all know; That's just the way that it is

27 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

You are not hilarious. You are a moronic lying arsehole

From having spent quite a bit of actual time around Jerry Pasewicz (maybe hundreds to thousands of hours or so?), I would consider your description to be woefully inaccurate.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:37 PM, David Burgess said:

My first real contact with Furse was when he called me somewhat out of the blue, while traveling between the Edesz shop and the US,  had run out of money, and asked me to lend him some. After checking around a little with his classmates at the Salt Lake School, I did.

Yup, he paid me back, even though there were lots of ways he could have gotten out of it.

Larry, if you want me to delete this post, I will, but I was thinking of it as a tribute to you, the lean path  and your ethics.

David, you are showing what a really kind and generous person you are.  The whole story is- in 1981 when I was studying up in Toronto with Otto Erdesz,  I took a drive down to Chicago to do some business with Bein and Fushi.  Coming back over the border the guards thought I looked suspicious,  and under interrogation,  when I naively told them  that I  had less than a hundred dollars in my pocket,  I was told that I didn't have sufficient funds to enter the country.   So  I was ordered to turn around and go back.  The result was I was stranded  thousands of miles from my home in Utah, and a hundred or so miles from Toronto, where all my  hand tools  and my few belongings were (which was a sleeping bag, change of underwear, and a tooth brush),  and with something like $87 dollars in cash in my wallet.  It was a very bad situation, I didn't have enough cash on me to drive back to Utah, and with all of my hand tools and belongings in Toronto, I would have a very hard time retrieving them  should I not get back into Canada.  So I showed up unannounced at David's door,  explained my plight, and as a fellow maker and the kind hearted soul that he is, he  took me in.  I spent the night in his spare bedroom, and in the morning, after his wife made me an excellent breakfast, he shoved a couple of hundred dollars into my hand (enough to get back to Utah if I had to) to be repaid whenever, and off I went.  I cleaned myself up at David's so I looked more respectable, and this time I approached the border crossing on the Detroit bridge, where I nonchalantly stated that I was just passing through on my way to Buffalo.   This seemed to satisfy the border guard, so  I was successful in crossing back into Canada.   I raced back up to Toronto,  concluded my affairs,  stowed my tools and few belongings in the back of my car, and then  headed back to Utah.   When I crossed back into the U.S. , the U.S.border guard looked at all the tools, etc, stuffed into the back of my VW Rabbit and asked what I was doing in Canada.  I truthfully said I was studying with a famous violin maker in Toronto  and now I was headed back home.  "'OK, go on through", he said "welcome home!"     When I got back home, I immediately wired David the money I owed him, called him to make sure he got it, then settled down to my goal of making instruments for a living,  married, had a family, and the rest is history.  I've seen David once since then, at a Violin Makers Conference here in Salt Lake, we've talked a few times, but everyone should know he is one H*** of a nice guy!

Larry, no regrets whatsoever. I could have told you to "piss off", but had I done so, I think the violinmaking world, and the world in general, would have suffered no less than an incremental downgrade.

That's not about me, or anything I did, but about you, and others one can trust to do "the right thing".

And that's what life is (should) be all about.  If it were possible it would be great to end this thread on the previous two posts. Being somewhat pessimistic, I fear that it won't.  I think I'll let it end here for me that way I can remember a nice ending.

Cheers,

Jim

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Hard to tell what this threads about any more.... haven’t heard anyone say you should need to put anything anywhere,near as I can tell. The social contract I am referring to is that when you say please stop in as you clearly state on your web sight...or any kind of open for business sign inviting people in.....there should be some expression of gratitude...no mater how small , like sorry I can’t help you...thanks for stopping in anyway” at least that’s the one I will go back to when I have a need more suited to their shop. Personally I,m not much of a people person, quite happy with my tools and wood. However I recognize a need to get along with, even to try and understand a variety of viewpoints. 

1 hour ago, James M. Jones said:

Hard to tell what this threads about any more.... haven’t heard anyone say you should need to put anything anywhere,near as I can tell. The social contract I am referring to is that when you say please stop in as you clearly state on your web sight...or any kind of open for business sign inviting people in.....there should be some expression of gratitude...no mater how small , like sorry I can’t help you...thanks for stopping in anyway” at least that’s the one I will go back to when I have a need more suited to their shop. Personally I,m not much of a people person, quite happy with my tools and wood. However I recognize a need to get along with, even to try and understand a variety of viewpoints. 

Personally, having spent a little time around you, I'd say that your skills are much higher than you might be eager to take credit for. And that's perfectly OK.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, Violadamore said:

I see I'm not the only prima donna loose on this board. [sound of diva giggles] :ph34r:;):lol:

That reminds me.  Anyone heard from Carl Stross lately?  If he's not deceased, hospitalized, or in custody somewhere, he ought to be in the middle of this. :huh:

He is watching lol , his status shows last visit 11 hours ago

6 minutes ago, carl1961 said:

He is watching lol , his status shows last visit 11 hours ago

OK, thanks, last time I looked, he hadn't logged in since 24 Jan.

1 hour ago, MeyerFittings said:

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

You too!  Happy Valentine's Day.  :)

1 hour ago, MeyerFittings said:

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

Thanks! I had a very nice one, candy and cards for both of us, and a nice relaxing home-cooked pasta dinner and some wine. Unfortunately we did not get out cake made, will wait until Saturday. I don't think there is any law about using little Valentine do-dads in a cake after Valentine's Day, is there? (if asked, it is for NEXT year, we are just really eager to get started, lol)

2 minutes ago, James M. Jones said:

2BE72F36-94E5-4643-81DA-34C310BD919A.thumb.jpeg.1a603ecedf09e3347a721ef4a4253d2f.jpeg

Hey!!  You leave my customers out of this!!  :P

Wonder if Barry Larry Terry spends Valentine's alone? :lol:

OMG! I spent Valentine's alone! :o

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Wonder if Barry Larry Terry spends Valentine's alone? :lol:

OMG! I spent Valentine's alone! :o

:ph34r:

Not a chance..... That’s what the wild Raccoon is for. Nice guy...