Sign in to follow this  
davidc

separate violin plate joint

I am working on my second violin and I am not happy with my glue joint for the back.  Could someone give me advice on the best way to separate the plates?   Is steaming the way to go?

thanks,

dave

I think many a new maker in this kind of situation would choose to make a fresh back plate, rather than trying to rescue the existing one.

15 hours ago, davidc said:

I am working on my second violin and I am not happy with my glue joint for the back.  Could someone give me advice on the best way to separate the plates?   Is steaming the way to go?

thanks,

dave

Hi Dave - what about the joint is making you unhappy?

cheers edi

17 hours ago, davidc said:

thanks,

dave

If they are still in wedge form and wide enough I'd suggest resawing down the center of glue joint, and replaning.

If the back is still unworked and wide enough to sacrifice sawcut then saw through joint with thin blade (tablesaw gets cleanest cuts, you can use bandsaw with fence if edge is parallel to joint to get reasonably straight cut). You can use steam, you will have to let the wood dry for some time.. and the wedges may distort a little.

If the back is under construction then some of the sophisticated repair techniques can be exercised... O once split part of back joint during scraping and managed to tek the two halves completely apart without damaging the joint surface and reglued them back together using pillars and clamps. Result was just as invisible joint as before but I was working quickly to avoid any possible  distortions in wood if left open for aday or few.

I have bass top joined that has visiblel glue line on one side that I want to re-do... probably will saw it even if I will have to add larger wings to the bouts... I once opened such bass joint with steam and knife just 15 minutes after gluing the wedges and it was nightmare - HHG can set quite fast to strength- I even got some splinters pulled so I had to plane away as much wood as tablesaw would remove...

Thank you.  I was wondering how the steam would affect the wood plate.  I think I do have enough to use my table saw.   I was just trying to save the wood encase I had trouble with the joint.

20 hours ago, davidc said:

thanks,

dave

Steaming a maple back will severly deform it when it dries!

Maple does not like water

If your back are still in wedge form (as just after the joint is glued) and if you have used hide glue, wet the area near the joint with abundant hot water and warm it on the hotplate for enough time to melt the glue. Be patient and keep warming up until your joint will separate with little effort. The surfaces will be clean and with no debris left.

Just done at the school with a "less than perfect" joint of a student, works perfectly and cleanly, no waste of wood at all and a good glue-size for the next try....