Sign in to follow this  
mood2000

Hamberger Adjustable Soundpost for Violin

Recommended Posts

hello guys , 

have any one tried this soundpost ?

Hamberger Soundpost - Installation Instructions

 

 

============================================================================== 

 

 

Hamberger Soundpost - Removal Instructions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

such as why are they so expensive?

They are pretty pricey. But it aint cheap these days to have a traditional post fit by a good luthier. This cost is equal to about three normal post fittings and sometimes that's how many a player will need before settling in on one.

I like the idea, but for some reason I cant see myself living with a violin that has one of these inside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, deans said:

They are pretty pricey. But it aint cheap these days to have a traditional post fit by a good luthier. This cost is equal to about three normal post fittings and sometimes that's how many a player will need before settling in on one.

I like the idea, but for some reason I cant see myself living with a violin that has one of these inside

Are you saying it takes three posts to get one right?  Not trying to put you on the spot, but is that what you are saying?  If so, I would love to explore the process and when you feel it is right.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Are you saying it takes three posts to get one right?

No, but I guess I shouldn't have used the term "right".  I don't consider myself that picky, but I know players that have had many posts cut before they got what they wanted, and are still always heading to the shop for adjustments.

But  I do have  instruments where I have a long and short post that I switch from time to time. They are both "right" I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deans said:

I don't consider myself that picky, but I know players that have had many posts cut before they got what they wanted, and are still always heading to the shop for adjustments.

Is your shop next to a psychotherapist's office?  "Location, location, location...." :ph34r::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Is your shop next to a psychotherapist's office?  "Location, location, location...." :ph34r::lol:

 I was a Nurse in my former profession. Also, there is a Vet's office next to an English Pub downstairs. It's all covered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duane88 said:

Sometimes the violin "needs" 3 posts to sound "right", and sometimes the violinist need 3 posts to sound right.

There's the story about René Morel and the pencil soundpost ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought when I saw the thread title (and, yes, I know the sandwich is spelled "hamburger") was "Wow! How do ya squeeze a Big Mac through the f-hole???". :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an unbelievably weird idea,,, the sound post thingie,,   like something I might come up with,,,,,,,,,,,,, but come to my senses before
I fully embarrass myself again.

That's what I say,, just give it up,, damn it Evan just give it up! Quit thinking so hard, I'ze wearing out the gearz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I foresee a lot of work in soundpost patching for restorers if the adjustment tools are left in the hands of "experimenters" violinists to play with the tension of these soundpost.

Please, not on my violins....:)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:
 

I foresee a lot of work in soundpost patching for restorers if the adjustment tools are left in the hands of "experimenters" violinists to play with the tension of these soundpost.

Please, not on my violins....:)
 

 But just think, then we can put in carbon fiber soundpost patches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:
 

I foresee a lot of work in soundpost patching for restorers if the adjustment tools are left in the hands of "experimenters" violinists to play with the tension of these soundpost.

Please, not on my violins....:)
 

This soundpost was developed in collaboration with Chi-Mei precisely because of the need to avoid damage to the internal surfaces of a historic instrument. The feet are always in 100% contact with the plates.

With conventional posts there are no mechanisms in place to prevent amateurs or even great set-up maestros from buggering up a table with an overlong post.

I was introduced to this post by one of the inventors/developers about 3 months ago, and we were very quickly able to improve the sound of a couple of rather temperamental violins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rue said:

So the better mousetrap is actually better?

Different, yes. Better, don't know. But, for a 300+ buck soundpost it won't be getting too much exposure in my shop. File it away with the $1500US cello end pin and housing that I saw last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.