violins88

violin knife steel PM-X

I thought some of you would be interested in the results of my testing of a powder metallurgy steel. This steel holds an edge 3 times longer (in feet of wood cut) than my O1 steel. I have been making and selling O1 knives for several years. Violin makers seem to like them. Now this new steel is better. I was very pleasantly surprised. Sorry, don't want to say exactly which steel it is.

A few months ago I bought two "normal" blades and a CPM 3V blade from John to replace a couple of blades in the old Solingen gold steel in my favourite knives. His normal blades are at least as good as the gold steel - now my favourite knives again - and the CPM 3V blade proved to be so stellar at bee stings that is its gig from now on. Really superb blades.

If John says this new steel is something special, I'd take this claim very seriously - he knows what he's talking about.

I own two of John's CPM 3V (I'm pretty sure this is the correct steel) it`s been a few years. I love these knives, I've got several other knives. They don't compare to John's.

10 hours ago, Craigers said:

Can you post a picture or link, or information on buying these knives ?

please email me jpschmidt44@gmail.com

12 hours ago, violins88 said:

This steel holds an edge 3 times longer (in feet of wood cut) than my O1 steel. I have been making and selling O1 knives for several years.

Sounds like you need to come over for tea, cakes and show-and-tell... ;)

4 hours ago, Janito said:

Sounds like you need to come over for tea, cakes and show-and-tell... ;)

yes. how about one Sunday afternoon?  would love to.

2 hours ago, Mike_Danielson said:

This steel must be "as hard as the hubs of hell."  How do you sharpen it?  Will water stones work or does it take a harder abrasive?  

Mike D

I use a course oil stone with mineral oil to put a wire edge on my CPM 3V knives then follow with a 8000 water stone. John told me how to test for sharpness with thread and weighs. Also the CPM 3V are not quite as thick and heavy as other blades. I like that.

12 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

I would buy a few for gifts for my co-conspirators if you are trying to get an order together.

DLB

It will be about May 1 when I work out the details of making knives of PM-X.

12 hours ago, Mike_Danielson said:

This steel must be "as hard as the hubs of hell."  How do you sharpen it?  Will water stones work or does it take a harder abrasive?  

Mike D

Mike,

PM-X is easy to sharpen. Really.

9 hours ago, HoGo said:

How does it compare to the PM-V11 by Veritas? Here they claim it holds edge 9x better than O1:  http://www.pm-v11.com/story.aspx

I know they gave PM V11 a “10” and they gave O1 a “1”, but I don’t think that means it holds an edge 9 times longer (in feet of wood cut).

correct me if I am wrong.

2 hours ago, violins88 said:

I know they gave PM V11 a “10” and they gave O1 a “1”, but I don’t think that means it holds an edge 9 times longer (in feet of wood cut).

correct me if I am wrong.

No one knows... Of course it's their marketing and we don't know how they evaluated those steels. They don't seem to want to reveal more. Or even offer blades other than replacenments for their own tools.

EDIT:

OK, Now I see there is some description that they just assigned points based upon placement after each test... first one gets 10 last 1 point... That doesn't have any correlation with how long they actually held the edge... Misleading values at best...

I made a few knifes out of PM-v11 and it is tough and easier to sharpen than 0-1, it does hold it's edge for a long time, it does not have a tendency to chip, I've learned to just touch the bevel side of the blade litely with a burnisher and it's good to go,,again,,,that works a few times,,,,it behaves like really different material altogether, it seems kinda soft but it is tough and gets crazy sharp easily.

I have a lot of knifes,,good ones made for the violin trade,, they are all retired,, I mean packed away. They are really second rate to the -v11

I just finished a test of a PM-V11 plane blade. It is 7 percent better than PM-X steel. The margin of error could be greater than 7 percent. I would have to do more trials.

PM-X is 300 percent better than my O1. Very impressive.

Wow, sounds like the powdered metal steels are possibly in a very tight group, but clearly ahead of the rest of the pack. 

At one point I asked Veritas if they'd sell blanks I could grind myself, and received a very polite Canadian no. They suggested I buy a large plane blade and cut it up myself. I hesitate to do this because of the thickness of their blade stock. Anything thicker than the Hock or Goldsteel knives seems impractical to me.

Thanks to this thread and a few month's of patience, I just placed an order with John for a PM-X knife; he's got the steel and is in production.  I wanted to share the good news in case there are others who were waiting for the new steel.