Recognize this resin?

OK, since it dissolves readily in alcohol, my first guess is sandarac, followed by frankincense, and possibly myrrh.  Copal is harder to dissolve.  Dammar is more susceptible to turpentine than alcohol, and only the batu form would look like that. :)

When burned, it smells just like incense and I'm leaning towards frankincense.  Is frankincense used in varnish?  Tschu Ho Lee probably bought this in the 80's to use for varnish.  I have about 2 lbs of it and as an interesting side note, it is cut with bits of yellow plastic.  Probably crushed up tail lights!!

IMG_4351.JPG

On 2/2/2018 at 8:56 PM, Thomas Coleman said:

Do you recognize this resin?  I showed it to Joe Robson once and he told me but I forgot!  Maybe copal?  Thanks.

IMG_4348.JPGit is impossible to recognize all types of copal, many are similar, while others are very particular and are immediately recognized

it is impossible to recognize all types of copal, many are similar, while others are very particular and are immediately recognized

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Isn't that a synonym for frankincense?

It is in some languages.  In the perfume industry the residue (resin) remaining after extracting the oil (frankincense) is known as olibanum.  It is not effective as a varnish resin.

on we go,

Joe

1 hour ago, joerobson said:

It is in some languages.  In the perfume industry the residue (resin) remaining after extracting the oil (frankincense) is known as olibanum.  It is not effective as a varnish resin.

on we go,

Joe

Joe, this certainly smells like frankincense,  but I do know that Tscho Ho Lee bought this for making varnish.  It smells good when burned.  Should I just save it for sacrificing all my crappy violins or is there some way I can test it?

2 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Joe, this certainly smells like frankincense,  but I do know that Tscho Ho Lee bought this for making varnish.  It smells good when burned.  Should I just save it for sacrificing all my crappy violins or is there some way I can test it?

To his credit Mr. Lee, my mentor and friend, has been and continues to be a creative, unrestrained searcher.

Perhaps he had an idea...

on we go,

Joe

1 hour ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Yay or nay?  If you think you can use it lemme know.

It would surely be interesting to try to cook up a batch of varnish at some point. Im in Norway thou, so maybe someone closer to you (less shipping) would want it instead....

it's not expensive,,, don't need to spend a fortune sending it back around the world,, I bet theres some close to norway

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Lb-Kosher-Frankincense-Resin-Incense-Tears-Boswellia-carteri-100-Natural/391920451017?hash=item5b40477dc9:m:mY3B9me4MQNOK-JOA_0Uq0Q

I love the smell,, oh yeah, get some of this and you'll be the Norwegian monk that works with wood.