hullo all

Just a query about a really lovely Italian Violin I have acquired. It is labelled G Bobbi da Piacenza 1949 and has a certificate from Voight

He valued it at £4000 then, but I suspect it is worth a lot more now. It is in splendid condition and has a true Italianate sound.

Has anyone come across one of these before please

Reg

13 hours ago, martin swan said:

What is the full text of the label?

Could you post photos of the violin?

Thanks Martin I will do so on Monday!

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, reg said:

Thanks Martin I will do so on Monday!

The label has an ornate border with a crest to the left and reads;

G. Bobbi da Piacenza

Fece 1949            12

Bobbi  (Signed in script)

viabotticelli 13 Milano   (In small script)

I'll try upload photos later today

many thanks

Photos below The colour is a medium golden brown which the pictures don't convey correctly

20180205_082309_resized.jpg

20180205_082229_resized.jpg

20180205_082244_.jpg

20180205_082223_resized.jpg

Edited by reg

On 2/6/2018 at 10:03 AM, reg said:

Hello Martin

What do you think?

Can anyone help me with this please?

The way to bump your earlier post to the front of the queue would have been to do as I am doing here.  Post another comment.  You should look at the thread at the top of "The Pegbox" that tells you what photos are needed for violin identification, however. 

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/333119-how-to-photograph-an-instrument-for-identifcation-purposes/

So, before you complain that you've been ignored, you need to do your part of this process.

Hi Reg,

Bobbi isn't a well known maker - Tarisio don't have any examples in the Cozio archive, so I wouldn't know where to start.

Probably there are members here who have seen one before ... and certainly Eric Blot could give you an opinion.

What I see is quite an idiosyncratic violin with very exaggerated fluting to the f-hole wings, rather roughly cut f-holes, very pronounced arching and overdone black pins in the back. The inking on the inside of the scroll is also rather slapdash.

Brinser describes Bobbi as a good professional maker, and I'm not sure this quite qualifies, although some of these Italian makers are nowhere near as good as you'd expect them to be. It does seem to be the right colour!

However, if the violin has a certificate from Paul Voigt, and if the certificate and the violin actually belong together, then it has to be of a certain age. Can we see the certificate, and do all the measurements match the violin?

I'm leaning rather heavily away from it being genuine, but as Palousian says, dead-on photos would tell a clearer story.

On 02/02/2018 at 4:12 PM, reg said:

It has a true Italianate sound.

Can you explain this part a little more, and how you'd set the tone apart from French, German, Australian etc?

Sorry Palousian, mea culpa!  Put it down to inexperience please. Thanks Martin I'll try add better pics and one of the certificate. It also has a valuation from Hamilton Caswell.

Hullo all         The Voight certificate above - it also has valuation from Christopher Marlow Leamington and Hamilton Caswell

Enclosed pdf are photos that were in the case

201802161147.pdf

I would still be a bit cautious - you'd really expect an Italian violin made in 1949 to still have a receipt from the maker 5 years later. There was as much money to be made passing something off as Italian then as there is now. 

In this case I would simply show it to Dmitry Gindin or Eric Blot - without a paper from a heavyweight you don't got s**t. I'm afraid Hamilton Caswell and Christopher Marlow will simply have endorsed the Paul Voigt certificate without necessarily having a reference example or any kind of photographic archive of Bobbi's work.

I'm not claiming to know either way - I just start from a position of doubt. I had hoped someone on MNet would know a Bobbi when they saw one (or not).

Thank you Martin I take your point and will try one of the two you suggest. Given that it is genuine would I be justified in suggesting the value at £6000?