Sign in to follow this  
Madmox

Snagged my next mystery project at the local thrift

On 1/26/2018 at 11:45 AM, Madmox said:

Interesting the path it took though life and that someone thought enough of it to have it pulled apart and have it blocked, regraduated and a new bass bar installed. By a Russian luthier no less. 

This russian art forum has his history or at least what I have been able to find. It would appear he was invited to Germany to make repairs to Prince Ludwigs violins and was appointed chief curator or Czar Nicholas II’s collection of violins. 

Oh my, sounds a bit like language used in Ebay ads. Must be a really valuable violin! :lol:

8 hours ago, franciscus said:
On 1/26/2018 at 5:45 PM, Madmox said:

Interesting the path it took though life and that someone thought enough of it to have it pulled apart and have it blocked, regraduated and a new bass bar installed. By a Russian luthier no less. 

This russian art forum has his history or at least what I have been able to find. It would appear he was invited to Germany to make repairs to Prince Ludwigs violins and was appointed chief curator or Czar Nicholas II’s collection of violins. 

I'd say that Mr. Dobriansky has nothing with this violin, because the label says: "Tone and timbre perfected according to the procedure discovered by L. Dobriansky" etc.

But, after reading this article (posts)...

19 hours ago, Addie said:

Well, your location is good for thunder storms, but the price of copper for anodes that go through the roof has gone through the roof...

But anyway, how are the experiments with the Mountain Dew going?  ^_^

Better to re-purpose the copper for the white lightning still.

11 hours ago, franciscus said:

But, after reading this article (posts)...

That article is kind of difficult to wade through; it looks like a google translation from Russian. It appears to have all the hallmarks of soviet writing, where the subject is inflated into an untouchable legend,  due to being a product of excellence from the soviet system.

Staying in Stalin's good graces by gifting him a violin dedicated to the soviet union was probably a good tactic to stay alive, and maybe even prosper a little.

1 hour ago, Bill Yacey said:

Better to re-purpose the copper for the white lightning still.

Shhhhhhhh!!  [Looks very proper and law-abiding]  ;)

45 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

That article is kind of difficult to wade through; it looks like a google translation from Russian. It appears to have all the hallmarks of soviet writing, where the subject is inflated into an untouchable legend,  due to being a product of excellence from the soviet system.

Staying in Stalin's good graces by gifting him a violin dedicated to the soviet union was probably a good tactic to stay alive, and maybe even prosper a little.

Kubelik violin was stolen by Moose and Squirrel!!  :ph34r::lol:

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Shhhhhhhh!!  [Looks very proper and law-abiding]  ;)

Kubelik violin was stolen by Moose and Squirrel!!  :ph34r::lol:

[Bulwinkle] Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a violin out of my hat...

[VSO] Raarh!

[Rocky] Better get another hat!

:ph34r:

On 1/27/2018 at 4:31 PM, Marty Kasprzyk said:

If something always breaks the same way it means the design/material selection is no damn good.

Any good cabinet maker would never ever glue together different woods with different grain directions like a violin has.

Am I correct in believing that nobody makes through-neck violins anymore?

IDK that violins always break any more than tires always go flat.