LOL. I am relieved that your noggin is not in danger! :)

But now I have an inexplicable desire to do a core workout :blink:

15 hours ago, Stavanger said:

#1 - final product.
Nr1_-_ferdig.thumb.jpg.42ddbf6dc2a4797185909d98dafdbaaa.jpg

Looks fantastisch! Great color! I only have one critique, though. The upper corners are a little long, to my eye. But other than that, great work. You did a good job at getting the arching smooth at the fluting. 

3 hours ago, Stavanger said:

I have never read those books. So i have no idea what the reference is even about. Quite sure I would not be offended :)

HIs actual name was Mikael  Blomkvist, but some people called him 'Kalle' Blomkvist, which has a lot of backstory I won't bore everyone with, lol.

Love that GIF, lol. I agree with Rue, looks like a good workout! You just need some kettlebells, lol. 

1 hour ago, Nick Allen said:

Looks fantastisch! Great color! I only have one critique, though. The upper corners are a little long, to my eye. But other than that, great work. You did a good job at getting the arching smooth at the fluting. 

Thank you! The corners are indeed long. It's a result of my ribstructure, and the desicion of continuing instead of re-doing everything I see along the process that went wrong. That way I would never finish. This one was about learning as I go, and actually finishing. 

I am very happy with the color too. It is @Vernici Liuteria's zink rosinate as ground, iron rosinate for color and amber varnish for final coats. No pigments. My maple was medium-weak flamed to start with, but the varnish really accentuated it. A great product that is easy to work with; dries fast for a oil-varnish and it surely gave my violin a facelift.

2 hours ago, Rue said:

LOL. I am relieved that your noggin is not in danger! :)

But now I have an inexplicable desire to do a core workout :blink:

Go for it! Start counting how many sits I do in my clip, and then do one more :D

1 hour ago, caerolle said:

HIs actual name was Mikael  Blomkvist, but some people called him 'Kalle' Blomkvist, which has a lot of backstory I won't bore everyone with, lol.

Love that GIF, lol. I agree with Rue, looks like a good workout! You just need some kettlebells, lol. 

Kalle is a typical swedish name. We have a few called that here too, but not many. My last name is probably unrelated to the name Kalle, but it means "the calling rock" originated from this rock, where they in the old days would climb up and "call out" to the boats that were closing in.

Just now, Stavanger said:

Go for it! Start counting how many sits I do in my clip, and then do one more :D

Kalle is a typical swedish name. We have a few called that here too, but not many. My last name is probably unrelated to the name Kalle, but it means "the calling rock" originated from this rock, where they in the old days would climb up and "call out" to the boats that were closing in.

Kool! I would so love to tour Scandinavia. Seems so interesting, and beautiful! 

Love love love the color on your violin, the finish is wonderful. That back is just gorgeous.

Carol  :)

9 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

The upper corners are a little long, to my eye. 

I felt the need to regain my honor (just, kidding, Nick ;) ) so I have been working on the back plate of my #2 tonight.

I have several much «cleaner» pieces of wood, but I ended up using this one - with a knot in it. Otherwise gorgeous - but there is a knot. I figured if Antonio would have used it, then I can aswell. I have stabilized the knot with thin capillary cyanoacrylate from «Chestnut producs», and it seems like the knot will get a bit smaller once I carve off some more. (It is smaller on the inside)

1BA72381-5F5E-4912-A88C-5286B05AB06F.jpeg

7ECF6663-F133-4C75-B6FF-0E3C7D99BD89.jpeg

A6CE82F9-D8CF-4727-AF23-1CCC9DF71FFA.jpeg

578A098B-5B71-4FB6-B070-4196E77F7D0C.jpeg

Wow that wood is gorgeous. The outline looks really graceful. Since the corners are shorter now, I imagine that the purfling is going to have to be set in a little farther. 

1 hour ago, caerolle said:

Just don't saw off the button!!!! ;)

If I do I’ll send it to you as a souvenir, for jinxing it! ^_^

I wasn’t happy with the short handles on all my gouges, especially after watching some of Davide Sora’s videos - so I made a monster two-hand handle from reject rib stock. 

Then I could rough out the back much easier.

F2F7AA21-765C-4771-981F-6CD3CE6A1481.thumb.jpeg.878cc9062248cc4e6049dc5eaacc2023.jpeg4E9128BC-E5CC-4119-B4D7-597E1AB51212.thumb.jpeg.fb2c54fe4a8d963026be17de39117c42.jpegE894EC2A-4AB5-4A9B-B738-E386614DEC67.thumb.jpeg.31235ab796428dd36285653f1e44e2b7.jpeg

What a nice space,,,if you put a bench behind your chair,,,, and that looks into the living room,, and the kitchen table is where the camera is shooting from,, I built many fiddles in that space for quite a few years. I actually could miss it. It was very comfortable, now you could put 30 of those in my shop, it can get so out of control so fast, small is good enjoy what you have, I really did love my small space, big has advantages, but not necessarily better.

Your fiddles are looking nice,,, you call it an obsession? We call it a disease,, there is no known cure, only death with a rifler still clutched tightly in your hide glue soaked fist, wood chips on your clothes and varnish in your stringy grey hair,,,, It's the only Honorable way to go, welcome aboard!

Evan cozy

BD5160BC-7920-4360-A339-091D76E712C6.gif

Sit down,,,

ok stand up,,,would you like to sit,, nah, ya betters stand, huh, ok sit, then,,

I think Shaun the sheep has counseling on Tues after noon, just sit there and think about it, ok?

Don't just stand there! I can't stand it anymore,,,mind if I sit?

Evan Tired

Maybe if you put some wool on the bottom of the shelf and grabbed a couple of electrodes in each hand you might be putting out a bit of power there.

I think your on to something there!

5 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

I think Shaun the sheep has counseling on Tues after noon.. .

:wub:

On 29.1.2018 at 12:13 AM, Nick Allen said:

Since the corners are shorter now, I imagine that the purfling is going to have to be set in a little farther. 

Yes, I was planning on that. After playing around a bit, I think I landed on something like this; aprox 4.3mm. What distance do you use? 

5a7cdab066b30_2018-02-0900_15_13.thumb.jpg.247eee646bd852b5a10dbfd39e2918cb.jpg

On 30.1.2018 at 4:38 PM, Nick Allen said:

Do you plan on trimming the button a little closer? It'll make installing the purfling easier that way. 

Thank you for the advise. I did, now it's just a few mm oversize. 

On 3.2.2018 at 10:06 AM, Evan Smith said:

What a nice space,,,if you put a bench behind your chair,,,, and that looks into the living room,, and the kitchen table is where the camera is shooting from,, I built many fiddles in that space for quite a few years. I actually could miss it. It was very comfortable, now you could put 30 of those in my shop, it can get so out of control so fast, small is good enjoy what you have, I really did love my small space, big has advantages, but not necessarily better.

Your fiddles are looking nice,,, you call it an obsession? We call it a disease,, there is no known cure, only death with a rifler still clutched tightly in your hide glue soaked fist, wood chips on your clothes and varnish in your stringy grey hair,,,, It's the only Honorable way to go, welcome aboard!

Evan cozy

Thank you for your kind words, Evan. And for your poetic description. :D I thought of you when my wife compained about the amount of wood shavings my socks dragged into the livingroom today. :P  

Update:
Caught a cold. Stayed home today. Made some progress. :) 
Plates of #2 are roughed out.

Made a mistake, gouged a bit to deep, sideways, next to the C-bout on one side of the back, so I had to make the other side symmetrical. As a result the "hump" is a bit to narrow around the waist. Oh well. Im not gonna waste it because of that. Pun intended.

Back: .64sg maple from Romania.  
Top: .35sg engelman spruce from Simeon Chambers (Log 106)

5a7cdbcc9ac14_2018-02-0900_01_57.thumb.jpg.d4b2a3142f82cb0ab53bc78ad063f684.jpg
2018-02-09_00_03_20.thumb.jpg.6c8752bdbd0f1850309e6598af31d4e3.jpg
5a7cdbd4bbbb8_2018-02-0900_03_36.thumb.jpg.a31a72c01ef280ffa35723787c217892.jpg

Working on the purfling channels. Still not entirly happy (will I ever be?) with how the the channel relates to the corners, but I do think I made great progress from my first one.

I find it very helpful to print out inspiration pictures of the task at hand and hang in front of me.
On the wall, a picture I nicked from the great master @Davide Sora (by whom I have been greatly inspired) flanked by runner up Guarneri Del Gesu.

2018-02-13_18_55_03.thumb.jpg.11f103f60b44489047eefc3105389afa.jpg

5a83284964da7_2018-02-1318_55_28.thumb.jpg.0fd156cc7b1af434a89e8f6eb3e028f8.jpg

I like your inspirational posters!

You're in the groove too!  Good job! 

On 13/2/2018 at 7:10 PM, Stavanger said:

Working on the purfling channels. Still not entirly happy (will I ever be?) with how the channel relates to the corners, but I do think I made great progress from my first one.

I find it very helpful to print out inspiration pictures of the task at hand and hang in front of me.
On the wall, a picture I nicked from the great master @Davide Sora (by whom I have been greatly inspired) flanked by runner up Guarneri Del Gesu.

What an honor!! :P

I think that one of the major advantage of making the purfling with the channel already done is precisely to allow drawing the mitres exactly where they will be at the end.