saintjohnbarleycorn

violin id

a friend dropped this by, I told him I don't know enough to give a general value, so I thought I would ask here.

has sound post patch and crack repair  . other wise in pretty good shape.

for some reason the label won't upload, tried it twice with the same group of pic 

any way giovan paalo maggini

brefcia 1623

IMG-2770.thumb.JPG.b53a432c52f80736ef6a55614e20bf10.JPGthanks. kevinIMG-2771.thumb.JPG.357f5f490571ac36747d5dfdbecbbe2b.JPGIMG-2773.thumb.JPG.9394f4d2edfcfe1b61dc30a6aa3c42a4.JPGIMG-2774.thumb.JPG.dec75a6ebe719a47e084070f91af0be5.JPGIMG-2775.thumb.JPG.fe186b0c20d754e9a8589eb7fecf28d2.JPG

IMG-2772.JPG

This is a pretty typical German mass-produced Maggini-labeled instrument with the double purfling and the extra turn on the scroll.  The bodies of these violins are usually over sized -- up to 37 cm -- making them undesirable.  Because the top is so badly damaged this one has no commercial value, by which I mean that no self-respecting violin shop would want it.  

In addition to @Brad Dorsey comment, which I agree with, all things being equal, a Maggini-style violin has a smaller demand than other models because classical musicians prefer undecorated violins with single purfling and normal volutes. The best market for this violin would likely be to fiddle players.

4 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

...classical musicians prefer undecorated violins with single purfling and normal volutes. The best market for this violin would likely be to fiddle players.

Had to laugh - that is what I am doing, albeit inadvertently.

Use my "regular" violin for classical music and my Maggini style for fiddle music...

But I'm also not too OCD about it...^_^

48 minutes ago, caerolle said:

You are always the 'in-kid,' Rue! ;)

Glad you have not frozen out there on the prairie! :)

Why thank you! :)

We are trying hard not to freeze! However our truck has been having intermittent issues providing us with heat...especially when it is -30C or colder. <_<

It is a VERY long drive into the city when that happens...

Thanks. :D

It warmed up to -17C today. Felt positively balmy in comparison to yesterday. Even saw one person (downtown) dashing between buildings wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

The truck had heat today too...go figure...

59 minutes ago, Rue said:

Thanks. :D

It warmed up to -17C today. Felt positively balmy in comparison to yesterday. Even saw one person (downtown) dashing between buildings wears shorts and a t-shirt.

The truck had heat today too...go figure...

Well, down here, -17°C is 1.4°C, we've seen worse this winter. Still cold, though! But 'relatively balmy'??? OMG!!!

Glad your heater worked today, even though you needed it less. ~