Amateur Maker

Mold Material

3 hours ago, Mike Spencer said:

Here's what an MDF form looks like. I haven't experienced any crumblyness/chippyness when using it as mentioned above. Oh and btw what wood or wood product is not dusty when sanding it? ;)

image.jpeg

The dust from MDF is finer than that from ply and it also has  a lot of formaldehyde in it so it is probably the most hazardous dust  http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/faq-mdf.htm

I used to build speaker cabinets and amplifier racks for my son. I started with MDF but soon switched to Baltic birch ply, even though it cost a lot more, because of the dust.  I reckon I spent as much time cleaning-up as I did making.  I guess it's OK if you have a very good extraction system.

43 minutes ago, Muswell said:

The dust from MDF is finer than that from ply and it also has  a lot of formaldehyde in it so it is probably the most hazardous dust  http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/faq-mdf.htm

I used to build speaker cabinets and amplifier racks for my son. I started with MDF but soon switched to Baltic birch ply, even though it cost a lot more, because of the dust.  I reckon I spent as much time cleaning-up as I did making.  I guess it's OK if you have a very good extraction system.

Bingo.

Muswell that is a very good article that you attached so many thanks for bringing this into the conversation. I am quite well aware of the hazards of MDF dust and wood dust plus all the other materials that we violin makers could choose to use and then be exposed to, (my daytime job is in the custom wood contract furniture industry and I'm also responsible for the safety program).  Always one should take precautions by reading the SDS for the material in question and then use proper PPE to protect themselves against hazards. Here in the USA both formaldehyde and wood dust are listed carcinogens. Many plywoods also use formaldehyde in the there manufacture so read the SDS if you want to really know the content. The good news is that there are products (plywood and MDF) available that are NAUF (no added urea formaldehyde), if you can track those down then use them. Dust particle size (chip size) is dependent on tooling, abrasive grit size, rpm and feed speed, so I contend that MDF dust is not finer by default. Most Baltic birch plywood comes from Russia/Soviet Union etc.. read the SDS they are not NAUF. Here in the US there is one manufacture that has a proprietary resin system that is pretty interesting https://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/product/purebond-classic-core/

You probably didn't know but IKEA sells Mold material, they call them PROPPMÄTT, designed by Jon Karlsson.

WP_20180116_17_10_51_Pro.thumb.jpg.cc58697555cce0b590f0f784a9df7eeb.jpg

Chairs are also meant to be used as Mold material

5a5e196da0c1f_2014-09-0619_29_48.thumb.jpg.7a14c6ca7da9fdf26f03e8ca3a9c4d71.jpg

5a5e197c27aa6_2014-09-0720_31_11.thumb.jpg.83386f8529f72cfdae3663127e8381d8.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike Spencer said:

I contend that MDF dust is not finer by default.

My strong impression is that working MDF seems to produce an awful lot of dust, but you've got me thinking.  Time to do an internet search :)

6 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Peter K G,  what is that big circle in the middle of your paper G mold? 

I have no idea, it's Addie's drawing

Not to minimize formaldehyde exposure, but the greatest health risk is the fine particulate matter less than 2.5 μg/m3 primarily produced with machine use for cutting / shaping wood, but also occurs with hand tool use.  Particulate matter of this size remains suspended in the air and is not the dust on the floor, shelves etc.    For this reason it is prudent for the wood worker to have either a high air exchange or an air purifier system in their work area.  Sorry for kicking a dead horse.  People tend to not worry about things that they can't see and do not have short-term health effects.

-Jim